• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug in the Water Avail From Mash tooltip?

andreabhb

Apprentice
Reaction score
In the Vols section, the Water Avail From Mash tooltip is:

"The total water available from the mash after grain and deadspace losses"

but in my example 18,79 - 5,16 = 13,63 (Tot Mash Water - Grain Absorption)

so it seems it's after grain losses but not after deadspace.

In fact, the Est Pre-Boil is: 13,63 + 18,18 - 1,80 = 30,01 (Water Avail From Mash + Spage Vol - Tun Deadspace).

See the attachment screenshot.

Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Attachments

• tooltip.png
    tooltip.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 202
The numbers used in the calculations, with the exception of grain absorption (see note below), all come from your equipment profile. They are user inputs. The numbers in the volumes tab you posted lead to a correct estimated bottling volume, so the calculations are correct. Your problem is likely due to measurement error, excessive boil off, one or more incorrect entries in your equipment profile, or a combination of the three.

Factory volume markings on equipment are seldom accurate and should not be used unless you've verified them. 

Boil vigor and surface are major factors affecting boil off. Boil vigor is especially hard to control when using propane or CNG as a heat source, so is always suspect. Larger kettle diameters will lead to increased boil off so, if you've changed kettles you need to update your equipment profile. Weather conditions can also affect boil off to a lesser degree.

With the exception of boil off, the volumes needed for an accurate equipment can be measured. Be sure to enter accurate measurements, and not estimate any of these volumes.

Note: The grain absorption rate is not a part of your equipment profile, but can be adjusted if found to be a contributing factor.

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly.

The calculations are correct.

I just think the tooltip is wrong because it says "after grain and deadspace losses" but 13,63 is the result before removing the deadspace losses (1,80).

The first part ("after grain losses") is correct.

So I guess it's a tooltip error.

In the Vols section, the Water Avail From Mash tooltip is:

"The total water available from the mash after grain and deadspace losses"

but in my example 18,79 - 5,16 = 13,63 (Tot Mash Water - Grain Absorption)

so it seems it's after grain losses but not after deadspace.

In fact, the Est Pre-Boil is: 13,63 + 18,18 - 1,80 = 30,01 (Water Avail From Mash + Spage Vol - Tun Deadspace).

See the attachment screenshot.

Am I wrong?

Thanks.
You are correct

Attachments

• Water_Avail.png
    Water_Avail.png
    13 KB · Views: 1
Back