• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug Report - Changes in Default Equipment Profile Don't Affect New Beers

BrianGee

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I believe I've found a bug, or at least an unexpected behavior in version 3.2.7 for Windows.

If you make a change in your default equipment profile, save it, then start a new beer, the old profile values will still be used until you re-select the profile in Options.

To reproduce:

* Open the equipment profile you use as your default (the one selected in Options -> Brewing -> Equipment Profile)
* Make a change. For example, double your boil-off rate. Click Ok.
* Add a new recipe, call it Test Beer 1 or whatever you want.
* Click on Volumes in the recipe. Your boil-off will still show your old value before the change.
* Open Options -> Brewing, click the drop-down selection for Equipment Profile, and select the same profile you're already using. Click Ok.
* Add another new recipe, Test Beer 2.
* Click on Volumes and note that boil-off value is now your edited one.

If you do this, don't forget to change back what you edited and select your profile again in Options -> Brewing to make it stick.

I would expect this behavior if I change any equipment profile values in the recipe itself with the button called "Edit the equipment settings for this recipe." But if changing it in the equipment profile editor I would expect the change to affect future recipes without having to select it again in Options.

If this is intentional, no worries, at least now I know that I need to do this if I make any adjustments.

Thank you!

Brian,

The program treats every recipe as a self-contained archive.  It does this to ensure that a future change will not affect the past recipes which have been brewed. This includes the recipe you have as a template.  So every time you click on 'Add a new recipe', the template which comes up still contains your old profile.

What you want to do is to add a new recipe, bringing up the template.  Then change the equipment profile to your newest version.  Once that is complete, click on 'Save the current recipe as default for new recipes.'  This will change the default recipe to come up as the template for future new additions.

User hint:  I save each new equipment profile with the date of change appended onto the name.  This way, I can see at a glance which version of the equipment profile is in the recipe and can update it if needed.

Thank you, Oginme.

I understood about each recipe being contained, since I have made changes over the years and previous recipes are unaffected.

I didn't think about the default recipe template using the old profile, but now it makes sense.

Naming the equipment profile with the date is a great tip and makes the behavior clear. I've done that with my profiles now and adjusted my default template.

Thanks again, and have a nice day!

Back