• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBU Calculation VERY Low

HopSTANd

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have an issue with IBU calculation being VERY low.  I input a Brewlosophy recipe into Beersmith and all the beer profile numbers seems reasonable compared to the recipe with the exception of IBU.  The recipe estimates IBU 37.3, while Beersmith estimates 6.3.  I haven't brewed in a year, but I recall this same situation with my previous brews.  Changes in the Bitterness scales, etc don't improve this drastic of a delta.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG-2191 Large.jpeg
    IMG-2191 Large.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 8
Unfortunately, the screen shot does little to help troubleshoot what your issue may be.  If you export the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it we will have a better idea of how your process is set up and where there may be an issue with your profiles or recipe.

My best guess is the hop utilization is likely way off in your equipment profile. It should be set to 100% for homebrew size batches. Depending on what version of BeerSmith you're using, you may also need to enter your altitude, if more than 1,000 ft., in the appropriate box or calculate the altitude adjustment and lower the utilization entry by that percentage.

BeerSmith depends heavily on user inputs. Your inputs allow the software to make calculations that accurately represent expectations for your system and brewing process. More accurate entries mean more accurate predictions.

Oginme makes a great point. Screen shots limit us to educated guesses. Posting the bsmx file usually gives all of the information needed to find the problem

Here's the bsmx file.

Attachments

• Tiny Bottom Pale Ale.bsmx
    25.3 KB · Views: 2
Bob nailed it.

Your hop utilization is set at 10% instead of 100%. Go to the checkmark next to your equipment. The utilization is in the lower right part of the profile.

Hallelujah!  Thanks guys!  That fixed it.  Its been driving me nuts.  I appreciate the quick responses and great advice.

Back