• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory with an expiration date for all the ingredients

lelo

Apprentice
Reaction score
It would be very nice if I could set an expiration date for every ingredient...hops, grains, adjuncts, etc. and and see this date in the Inventory.

There's really no set shelf life for brewing ingredients. Though some have Best By dates, the actual date they reach a point that they aren't useable, for whatever reason, depends largely on how they have been handled and stored. If you choose to use suggested dates or assign expiration dates, you can add them to the product.

You can edit the data for a product by selecting Ingredients/Ingredient type (hops, fermentables, yeast, etc.), and double clicking on the ingredient. Once you've done that, you can add to or alter the value(s) listed.

Hi Bob,

sorry but it seems to me that you can only add a date to the yeast and not for hops and fermentables.
Also, a date column cannot be added in the inventory.

Lelo

Sorry, I meant to type,  "you can add dates to the name of the product." Example: Cascade Hops (2/22)

Thanks.
Not perfect, but good idea.

Lelo

I do the same thing to denote crop year of hops I have in inventory.

Same when updating profiles also.

I was just about to suggest adding a date to inventory items, but see it is discussed here.
Is there a way to have multiple batches of the same item in the inventory with different dates?
I can modify the name but not seeing how to add another batch of the same ingredient with a different name without creating a new ingredient and needing to retype all of its parameters in again. - Thanks

I do that with hops all the time. Ingredients/hops, copy and paste the existing hop listing and then add the crop year to the name and change the AA% for the new hop. Works the same with other types of ingredients.

I do that with hops all the time. Ingredients/hops, copy and paste the existing hop listing and then add the crop year to the name and change the AA% for the new hop. Works the same with other types of ingredients.
Thanks Bob, I see how to copy/paste in the fermentables tab for example. I'm not seeing how to do it in the inventory - is this possible or do you need to be in the fermentables?

Back