• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need Clarity on Water Adjustment

jackpax

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm using a Claw Hammer 5 gal BIAB system, 120v current. I'm imported the equipment profile into BeerSmith and have selected it in the Equipment dropdown on the Design tab. On the Water tab, under Water Adjustments Salts, the additions are categorized as mash or sparge additions. My question is: As I don't sparge the grain basket (just hang it on the hooks and let it drain), do I
  • Add the suggested sparge salts to my mash salts?
  • or just ignore the the sparge salts?

I will note that on the Mash tab, next to Sparge, the box reads "Fly sparge with 2.8 gal water at 168.0 F." So BeerSmith clearly thinks I'm sparging. But I've been unable to edit this field to reflect my no sparge process. I'm thinking if I somehow edit it correctly, then the Water tab will recalculate my water adjustments for mash only adjustments.

Any suggestions?

I'm attaching the .bsmx file.

Attachments

• jackpax salts question.bsmx
    31.2 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for attaching the .sbx file.

Since you are not sparging, pick a mash profile which specifies a BIAB mash.  This will add in all the water needed right up front and adjust the water salts accordingly.

Oginme, thanks for looking.

Right now my mash profile is set to "BIAB, Medium Body." The Sparge field on the Mash tab no longer reads "Fly Sparge..." It's showing "If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort." So definitely some progress. But the Water Adjustment Salts section is still split into mash and sparge additions. I've tried changing the target profile to other targets and back, hoping BS would then recalculate based on my updated mash profile. But it continues to show me both the mash and sparge adjustments.

The sections in the program do work independently.  You will need to delete the water salts and go back through the process of matching your water profile again to get them straightened out.

The comment about "If steeping grains ..." is a generic instruction written into the batch sheet.

Oginme said:
You will need to delete the water salts and go back through the process of matching your water profile again to get them straightened out.

That was the fix! Thanks again for the advice.

Back