• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need some help/hints for a relcipe

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Years ago (30+) my daughter got me a ?beer kit? as a present.  I brewed some initial beginner recipes and then brewed something called ?Bituminous Stout?.  No style guidelines, just a recipe I followed.  It had a variety of ingredients that are no longer available in rural America.

4 pounds Mountmellick Stout kit, hopped
3 pounds Cooper?s Stout kit, hopped
1 pound Laaglander dark DME
? pound Australian dark DME
1 pound crystal malt 40? Lovibound
.5 pound crystal malt 110? Lovibound
.5 pound Chocolate malt
.5 pound Roasted barley
.25 pound Black patent malt

My daughter asked me to brew it for her this year. 

I would like to have an all grain equivalent for this recipe.  I need advice as to what to substitute for
.5 pound Australian dark DME

As far as I can determine it would be characterized as an Imperial Stout but I am open to suggestions regarding style guidelines. 

Lots of very skilled folks here so I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you

A little more information would be helpful. Both of the stout kits are prehopped and call for a kilo of sugar, each. Luckily, they're in the same style range of Irish Stout, so that can help define some flavor goals.

Did you add the sugar that each kit calls for?
Did you do any additional hopping?

If I remember correctly, each 7 lbs of extract is about 10 lbs of pale malt, assuming around 70% mash extraction efficiency. Both of the kits seem to target about a 1.050 to 1.053 OG. Coopers has 29 IBU, Mountmellick states 38 and I'd just total the two for 5 gallons.

The trouble with "dark" DME is that you don't know what they used to get the color and flavor. I'd suggest using the Briess formula for both: Dark DME: 54% Munich Malt 10L; 30% Base Malt; 13% Caramel Malt 60L; 3% Black Malt (credit to MoreBeer).

As far as I can determine it would be characterized as an Imperial Stout but I am open to suggestions regarding style guidelines

This checks out as the OG seems to be north of 1.080. It's also a pretty old school looking approach to style as an extract recipe. More modern versions would used even proportions of Chocolate, Roast and Black patent, while possibly eliminating the lighter crystal in favor of dark Munich or Amber malt.

I'd worry less on direct substitutions than on using ingredients that'll provide the flavor frame of the style. As an all grain batch, you will get a lot more punch out of the dark malts than extract steeping. Plus your brewing techniques are probably better than when you started, which by itself will alter the flavor even if you did the exact recipe.

Here's my thoughts on a grist:

5 gallons
OG: 1.100
13 lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
1 lbs Dark Munich (10l)
1 lbs Simpson Double Roast Crystal (Sub Briess Special Roast if needed)
1 Lbs Chocolate Malt
1 Lbs Roast Malt
1 lbs Carafa Special III (sub Briess Midnight Wheat, if needed)

Optional: 1 lbs of Simpson Golden Naked Oats to add creaminess and some extra head retention.

For your hops, I'd stick with the classics of Fuggles, EKG, Challenger at 70 to 80 IBU.

EDIT: In doing a little more background on the extracts, I noticed that you posted the same question to another forum. My advice seems pretty similar to what's suggested there, which is a good sign.

Thank you for your help. 

Yes, I did multiple posts in an attempt to get a variety of opinions and see if there is a consensus. 

I certainly appreciate your attempt at a grain bill -- much better than I would have done since my knowledge is not at your level. 

Thanks again and if anyone else cares to chime in please do. 

Mine was far from an imperial, but I brewed an Oatmeal Stout that I liked very, very much in January. Of everything that I have played around with, this was my favorite.
I used 61.5% Maris Otter
13.5% Munich
9.6% Flaked Oats
7.7% Chocolate 350
3.8% Crystal 120
3.8% White Wheat
I used White Labs Irish Ale Yeast and Fuggle Hops at about 33IBUs.
Again, mine was very sessionable at about 4.8%, and I am still learning.
You can get rid of some or all of my flaked oats and add grain to up the alcohol or add some sugar, but with my very simple BIIB setup, it is very hard for me to make high gravity beers, so I don't.
I do like the way the Munich mellowed out some of the bitterness in the Chocolate malt.

Years ago (30+) my daughter got me a ?beer kit? as a present. I brewed some initial beginner recipes and then brewed something called ?Bituminous Stout?. No style guidelines, just a recipe I followed. It had a variety of ingredients that are no longer available in rural America.

? pound Australian dark DME
1 pound crystal malt 40? Lovibound
.5 pound crystal malt 110? Lovibound
.5 pound Chocolate malt
.5 pound Roasted barley
.25 pound Black patent malt

My daughter asked me to brew it for her this year.

I would like to have an all grain equivalent for this recipe. I need advice as to what to substitute for
.5 pound Australian dark DME

As far as I can determine it would be characterized as an Imperial Stout but I am open to suggestions regarding style guidelines.

Lots of very skilled folks here need for speed most wanted apk download 2022 so I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you
It's great that you're looking to convert your extract recipe to an all-grain version! Based on the ingredients you've listed, I would agree that the beer would be best characterized as an Imperial Stout. Here are my suggestions for substitutions:
  • 4 pounds Mountmellick Stout kit, hopped: This is a pre-hopped extract kit, so you'll need to replace it with an equivalent amount of base malt plus hops. For example, you could use 8-10 pounds of Maris Otter or another high-quality base malt and add enough hops to achieve the desired bitterness level. Aim for an IBU of around 60-80, depending on your personal preferences.
  • 3 pounds Cooper's Stout kit, hopped: Similar to the Mountmellick kit, this is a pre-hopped extract kit. Replace it with an equivalent amount of base malt plus hops, or consider using a different specialty malt or adjunct to add flavor and complexity.
  • 1 pound Laaglander dark DME: This is a dark dry malt extract (DME), which provides color and flavor to the beer. You can substitute this with an equivalent amount of dark roasted malt, such as black malt or roasted barley. Alternatively, you could use a dark liquid malt extract (LME) or add specialty grains like chocolate malt or black patent malt to achieve the desired color and flavor.
  • 0.5 pound Australian dark DME: This is another dark DME, which can be replaced in the same way as the Laaglander DME.
Remember that all-grain brewing requires more equipment and a longer brewing process than extract brewing, so be sure you have everything you need before getting started. Good luck, and happy brewing!

Back