• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost four months' data

Andylphillips

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just entering some data into Beersmith 3 (Windows desktop version) when it became unstable (tabs v. slow to open). I closed the software and re-opened it and found that I'd lost two months of my brew log, plus a folder of 'next brews'. There was also an error message in a separate window saying that there was a .txt file missing. I've tried File->Open on the Recipes.bsmx file but all I see is the same four-month-old database. What's happened to my data?

I have a backup but unfortunately this is over a month old, so I've lost the data (recipe and brew log) for at least four brews. Any suggestions on how I can recover the missing data?

Thanks,
Andy

Update: using the "Recover from Auto Backup" I managed to restore back to a point from about 6 weeks ago. But I've still lost the brewlog data on two brews, and both the brewlog and recipe for two more. Very irritating - I don't understand how this can happen.

Andy

You might try Recover from Auto Backup. BeerSmith automatically backs up entries every few minutes. If you aren't running the latest version of BS3, you need to update.

A further update: I read through the replies to an earlier posting that mentioned lost data, and accessed the Archive through the icon on the ribbon. Fortunately, I managed to find all the lost data and copy/paste the missing records back into my BrewLog and Recipes folders. Panic over!

Andy

Back