• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a decent Strawberry *and* Watermelon beer recipe.

redbone

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent Strawberry *and* Watermelon beer recipe.  I'm putting these in the same topic because I would assume that the "base" recipe would be very similar or the same.  If someone has a proven strawberry and/or watermelon recipe, please share it.  Please keep in mind that I've never done anything with fruit, but am prepared to do either extract or all-grain (single infusion.

Thanks,
Ryan

I came across this on HBT. =\

Recipe Type: All Grain 
Yeast: WLP320 
Yeast Starter: YES 
Batch Size (Gallons): 5 
Original Gravity: 1.047 
Final Gravity: 1.008 
IBU: 23 
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 
Color: 3.1 SRM 
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68° F 
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68° F 

B's Honey Wheat

Grain:
3.50 lbs. Wheat Malt 1.038
2.50 lbs. Pale 2-row Malt 1.036
2.00 lbs. Honey 1.042
.25 lbs. Honey Malt 1.030

Hops:
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 60 mins
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 20 mins
.75 oz. Glacier 4.8 AA 0 mins

Yeast:
WLP320

Notes:
Add honey at flameout.
Mash schedule: 30 min protein rest at 122°F, 60 minute Saccharification rest at 154° F.
Watermelon version: Add 2 cups watermelon juice to secondary.

Awards:
1st place, Best of Show Dominion Cup 2006 in Light Hybrid category.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Extract version of B's Honey Wheat (added watermelon juice to make it watermelon)

3.7 lbs Wheat DME (65/35 mix)
0.4 lbs Light DME (or suitable replacement for a 2-row/barley DME)
2.0 lbs Honey
0.25 lbs Honey Malt (either steep or mini/partial mash)

Continue with the rest of the recipe and hope it works out for you...

Anyone care at all to comment on this one before I brew it?  Should I be talking about recipes somewhere besides here? =\

-Ryan

It looks like a solid recipe with the exception of the bitterness.

My 2c: If it were me brewing this (And I may), I would bring the bitterness ratio down to about half to accentuate the watermelon and not the hops. I would also do a tertiary fermentation adding a fining agent (like Gelatin) to help clear out the wheat and accentuate the 3 SRM and surprise the imbibers...

Some may tell you to bring the temp of the watermelon up to 160F for 20 min to kill any buggers. But if you keep things clean and sanitary when extracting the melon juice, you will be fine adding it to the secondary.

Cheers
Preston

Back