• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Spring things

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
OK - do we have any mushroom hunters on the Forum ? Rain showers and warming temps will have those fungi popping. We have some close friends who are really into it (the hubby is President of the local Mushroom group) they probably eat about a dozen local species.  We're a bit more reserved and only hunt Morels (Spring - Summer) and Chantrelles in the Fall. Both of these are pretty easy to to tell from any look-a-likes, but you need to go out with someone who is an experienced mush hunter on the first couple of trips. Even then we are doubly careful - each mushroom has to pass the visual test in the field - then back in the kitchen they get a second test as they are being prepped. Are they solid - hollow ? Color of the flesh etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanterelle

A lot of the fun (for us) is just getting out in the woods and tromping around - sometimes along game trails - sometimes bush whacking. This is only our second year at it - but last Fall we found a great spot for Chantrelles and probably took out 10lbs over 3 weekend visits.

Last weekend in March or First one in April will be time to head out

Attachments

• seven shrooms.jpg
    seven shrooms.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 672
  • pretty chantrelle.jpg
    pretty chantrelle.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 712
I have never done this, but it is huge in Michigan where I am from.  Ironically, there is a fungus in the UP that is all connected and considered the biggest living thing.

SOGOAK said:
I have never done this, but it is huge in Michigan where I am from.  Ironically, there is a fungus in the UP that is all connected and considered the biggest living thing.

Yep - from what I hear they have some really big Morels in and around Michigan. A lot of mushrooms live in close relation to the roots of specific trees - and the "mat" of underground threads can be large.

Mainly I just like to fry 'em in butter and have them with a home-brew. Eat something I picked in the woods while drinking something I brewed in the back room.

My grandfather turned me onto hunting Morels in the spring when I was a kid. My wife and I go and look for them now. I always liked soaking them in salt water over night and then battering them with flour and eggs, then into the skillet. Awesome stuff.

Back