• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Final Gravity too High

T

teddypower

I have entered all the information from the Stone IPA clone from the December BYO and I am getting a Final Gravity of 1024 when the recipe calls for 1012. There is probably something simple I am doing wrong but I can't see it. Anyone have any suggestions? I am using Wyeast 1968.

Ted

Could you answer a couple questions and we will try to help. What was the original gravity? How long has it been in primary?

Cheers
Preston

The OG is 1065 and it hasn't gone into the primary yet. Just running the numbers on the software. The FG came down to 1019 but that is still higher than the 1012 mentioned.
Thanks
Ted

I have the problem also.  I usually have a higher Est. Final Gravity in BS than what comes out of the secondary.  I have always guessed that I am extracting more fermentables than were estimated by BS.  At any rate, Take your final gravity and enter it into the program and it will give you a very close ABV if that is what you are looking for.  It also show you how well your entire process is working.

Steve

You got about a 70% attenuation so it sounds like it is done. The yeast says 69% average attenuation, so you got a better than average run out of the yeast. Was this an extract kit or AG?

The rule of thumb is "Start High - End High". Without knowing your brewing skill-set, I would say that you should not be making beer that big. There could be possible issues with brewing big beer if you don't plan/adjust it right.

Cheers
Preston

Back