• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OK, it has to be asked...

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a Mac... either an iBook or Power Book. Anyway, I'm currently using a PC, and BeerSmith is PC-based... see where I'm going? Now, I now that porting to Mac would be difficult, but as I understand it, there are Windows emulation programs written for MacOS, that let Mac users run Windows apps. Has BeerSmith been tested on the PC emulator, and, most importantly, does it work?

Just kind of curious because, believe it or not, BeerSmith is the one program that's keeping me from jumping the Windows ship altogether!  :D

There is a distressing lack of brewing software for the Macintosh. As in, none. :( I just happen to be looking around for some today, myself.

Virtual PC is a Windows emulation program that will successfully run most Windows programs. It can be a bit pokey, but I suspect it would do fine running something like Beersmith. VPC is rather expensive, however.

I'd buy a Macintosh version of Beersmith in a heartbeat, were it ever offered.

I have not tried BeerSmith on any of the MacIntosh PC emulators yet, so I can't guarantee it will work...

I would like to develop a Mac version (I personally like the Mac) but it is a very large effort.  BeerSmith for the PC took almost a year of constant work to complete, and moving onto the Mac would probably be a 6 month effort - minimum.

At the moment I'm focused on developing the next version of BeerSmith for Windows.  I'm hoping to have it out in late Spring or early summer.

Cheers!
Brad

Back