• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bitterness ratio

MattFed

Apprentice
Reaction score
I may be missing something here, but where is the bitterness ratio calculated from? The reason I ask, is that I have had efficiency problems lately, and I notice that the ratio does not change when I put in the measured O.G.
For example, on a beer that was supposed to have a(predicted)  OG of 1054 the ratio on Beersmith says:
0.439 IBU/SG
When I put in the real O.G in the measured box of 1040, the ratio does not change, when it is fact now:
Is there a way of changing this to reflect the actual IBU/SG ratio?

Hi,
  The bitterness ratio is calculated from the IBU and OG estimates and it is simply the IBUs/OG.  It is not calculated from the actuals.

Brad

So unless you are bang on the predicted, then it is inaccurate, and there's no way you can reconfigure?

Not currently,
  But it is pretty easy to calculate - basically take the IBUs and divide by the OG points (which is the fractional part of the OG, so 1.053 becomes 53 points).

Cheers,
Brad

Well, what I do after the brew is update my efficiency % to make the calculated OG match what I measured and entered as actuals.

Looking at my last four batches I have EE% from 65% to 80% due to some recipe factors and big changes in process as I tried different things. 

Back