• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Kettle capacity calculation...

M

Mij

Brad,
Does BS compute the Boil Kettle capacity (the amount of wort in the BK after sparge & top up) using water volume @ 60*F?  Or, does BS use the %shrink rate (IIRC) in the equipment setup screen as part of the calculation?

I have a Sanke Keg that seems pretty full at around 56 liters or so; but once I get 53/54'ish liters of 170*F wort, I'm kinda already at the 56'ish line in my kettle...  While the %shrink wouldn't be 4% @ 170*F, perhaps it might be around 3%?

Thoughts?

By the way, I'd pay more $$'s to purchase an online edition :)  I'd really love to be able to go to 1 spot (your site) from anywhere (work, home, friends house) and get to "my" BS.

Regardless, BS has (and does) make me a better brewer.  I thank you for your efforts!

Jim

Hi,
  I believe the kettle is calculated pre-shrink and pre-boil, though you can use the various boil off and water needed tools if you need the other figures.

I have not started an online version, though I have been looking at the possibility of an online recipe database for sharing.

Cheers,
Brad

Hey there,
Thanks for the info.  I'm gonna just start to take the 4% into account when considering the BK volume :)

Jim

Back