• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun - Plastic or Metal?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm migrating to the garage and need a real mash and lauter tun.  I have a pump to feed an HLT above it and I'm planning to place both on the garage wall with sturdy Closet Maid shelving. 

Decision time, and I'm stuck between stainless or Mini-Brew plastic.  Because of the shelf mount, I won't use direct heat on the s/s, so it is really a decision between s/s and plastic.  Plastic is better insulated, but some feel plastic is inferior to an all s/s system.  This plastic at least is made for brewing and supposedly good up to 250F. 

Comments or other things to watch out for? 

For my current system I prefer plastic because of the insulation and lack of temp controll. However when my brewery is finished, my plan is to use a HERM system with SS because I can clean it better. This will also allow a constant temp on the grains and no direct heat ever touching the wort. This would also allow me to pump the wort into the kettle with the switch of a valve.

Cheers
Preston

As a still relative rookie all grain brewer, I'm thrilled with the temperature holding capacity of my cooler mashtun.  But it does clean up a little harder than I'd like.  It seems like I clean it 2-3x with sanitizer and still find grain hulls and stickiness on it.  Perhaps daytime brewing in the summer will solve that-as opposed to winter night brewing.

If you can afford to get stainless, you likely will never have to replace anything unless you move onto larger batch sizes.
Plastic will pick up colors and flavors and eventually need to be replaced.

Back