• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Age Warning

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Currently I really have no desire to use any of the inventory features as I consume grains each brew and DME lasts a long time. I do now have a bit of a stock of hops in the freezer from previous recipes. I've heard that once opened from the vacu-bag and put back in the freezer that hops has a 3 month or so usage span.

So maybe your hops inventory could be dated and flagged with some kind of a timer ? I think you would have 2 categories (as we are raising hops and hope to have many vacu-sealed ounces): Vacu-sealed hops, and non vacu-sealed hops. I'm sure there are many variables you can't cover -- but a warning that those Fuggles are going to waste may be a good reason to brew a batch

Thanks for the suggestion.  The hops will degrade over time (per the hops age tool in BeerSmith) and will degrade faster once you open the package.  I will take a look at this and see if we can add something along these lines to a future version.

Cheers,
Brad

Back