• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparge Question

D

Dilligas

Beersmith is awsome! I looked at Beer Pro and Pro mash as well but Beersmith won hands down. I love the easy to use and understand interface. With that said the set-up does take a lil getting used to. I'm still messing with it. Is there a place to use a fly sparge vs a batch sparge? I fly about 80% of my recipes. I'm sure i'm just overlooking a check box somewhere but dang if I can find it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum! I batch sparge so no help here. I'm sure someone here can help tho.

Cheers
Preston

I 'think' fly sparge is the assumed method, similar to "with mash out" is assumed, and those without it say "no mash out."  But that needs confirmation. 

So when I set up a new mash profile, the only option I have (thats not greyed out) is the "batch sparge using batchs that fill". If I don't check that it will assume that I'm fly sparging?

Yes,
  That is correct - fly sparge is the default, and batch sparge is usually set using one of the batch sparge mashing profiles.

Cheers,
Brad

By the way, the concept of a Mash Out is really raising the temp of the grainbed to 168*F (+/-) as a step (be it infusion, temp, decoction).

Consider the difference between the 2 Mash Profiles:  "Single Infusion, Full Body" (SIFB)& "Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out" (SIFBNMO)

I would "argue" that the 1st option (SIFB) is really not a single infusion.  The 1st step (Mash In) would be, but (somehow - select your preferred method here) you still need to raise the temp of the grain/mash to 168*F.  If I had to guess, (and this is how I did it for quite a while), I'd say that most folks who want to get up to 168*F are doing a 2nd infusion of hot water - just like the SIFB profile (Mash Out) - Add xx Gallons of water at 2xx F.  Ok ok ok...  I know, perhaps I've gone overboard :)

The SIFBNMO option just lets you begin sparging after performing a single infusion of mash water.

I hope that helps - when I moved from Batch to All-Grain, there was a LOT to learn about the mash (and still remains much for me to learn!).  It took a while for the definitions of the words to actually sink in ;)

Jim

Point of clarification:

I'm not complaining about BS's use of the word "infusion".  There are lots of folks who use the term with an implied mash-out (with whatever preferred method.)  "I do a double infusion, 30 minute protein rest and then 154* for 60 minutes, then mash out"  - Pretty common; just pointing out for someone new that there "may be" a technical difference between the common use of the word vs the actual, technical process.

Back