• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice would be appreciated!! BREWING!

O

OldyBrewer

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but i figured i would skip the introductions and get right to my question (but still, Hi to all and I'm glad to become a member!).  Long story short, i have recently acquired the Oldenberg Brewing Co...all rights and equipment. I have no use for this at this time in my life, so i was wondering how i might go about selling this?  What avenues should i travel, what type of people should i talk to? This beer was once very popular in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio area, so my most interest may be in that region. Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

OldyBrewer said:
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but i figured i would skip the introductions and get right to my question (but still, Hi to all and I'm glad to become a member!).  Long story short, i have recently acquired the Oldenberg Brewing Co...all rights and equipment. I have no use for this at this time in my life, so i was wondering how i might go about selling this?  What avenues should i travel, what type of people should i talk to? This beer was once very popular in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio area, so my most interest may be in that region. Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Hello:

I live in Cincinnati and remember hearing this brewery advertised.  Several of the old companies have been revived and they may be interested in purchasing either the rights to your trademark, recipes, equipment, property, etc.  I would get in touch with the Bloatarian Brew Club (link at the bottom), as they have contact with Christian Morlein, Hudepole, and a couple of other "resurrections" and explain to them your situation and ask to be put in contact with brewers in the area.  Oldenberg to the best of my knowledge was basically a regional type beer house. 

I have to ask, did you purchase this knowing you weren't interested?  I don't mean to be nosey, but the place has been shut down for a while if I am indeed correct and doesn't have much name recognition outside the region  and I would assume the equipment would be in a state of disrepair, since it went bankrupt 11 years ago.  Of course you know what they say about assuming.  The link is to the largest and oldest brewing club in Cincinnati.  If you have no luck there Google Cincinnati Malt Infusers, but I am sure the bloats will help.  The home page that's up now is an April fools joke, so don't be alarmed.

http://www.bloatarian.org/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

I wish you well on your business endeavor,
Bill Sinkhorn

Just wondering, but what are you plans for the brewery if you're not going to be making beer? 

At any rate, you might also want to try the American Brewers Association

http://www.beertown.org/

If you click on the link below and then click on the area that says "Craft Brewing"  you might be able to find a few contacts there that may be able to help you

Good luck

Just wondering too,

Did you just purchase the brewery where they brew beer for shipping out to the region, or did you get the pub/brew house which was like a restaurant where Oldenberg products were sold too?  As far as I know they were different locations.  The brew pub might even be more valuable as property to sell as a restaurant.  I'll tell you the problem that they ran into at the brew pub.  Most of the business came from Cincinnati, which am am sure your aware is North of the brewpub.  The access was across one bridge over the river which is an interstate and the cops harass anyone who makes a single mistake, so you can guess the DUI rate on Friday and Saturday night.

I'd Love to see the whole thing reopen.  It was a rage even until it went bust in 99.  I never got a chance to go though.
Bill   

www.probrewer.com

has a classified sections if you want to resell the equipment to a national audience.  Sound like the rights and trademarks would be best sold locally. 

And even though it had sat idle for some years, we just had a new brewery open locally with long-idle equipment from a long-closed brew pub.  They're making a darn fine alt already with more Germans planned. 

Thank for all the advice! To all those wondering, no I did not purchase this, it was (basically) inherited. The rights are to EVERYTHING Oldenberg owned including the resturant/pub. I don't own any of the property as far as real estate goes, but I do have all brewing equipment and bottles, bottle caps, labels and six pack boxes. I would love to get this going again (as I am a HUGE beer lover) but I really don't know anything about brewing or the culture surrounding it, and this isn't really a great time in my life to start my own business. I'm only 22 years old and not out of college yet so I think it just may be a little to much of a project for me. I would love to see it resureccted and the links above may very well be my ticket! I appreciate the advice and any and all comments or questions will still be appreciated! And don't worry, you can't be too nosy because the more you know about my situation the more some of you may be able to help! Thanks again!

Back