• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I'm hoping to find a clone for Deschutes, The Abyss

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
    I am going to make a stout with the help of Beersmith and I noticed under the ( Style ) tab, I highlighted Imperial Stout 13F, with a great description of what I would like to go for, not to mention, listing an example of a beer that I think really rocks, (The Abyss).

I'm not sure how putting 13F Imperial Stout in the Style box will help me reaching my goal of making that style of beer?

Would any one have a recipe that would fit the bill for a 13F Imperial Stout  (aka, The Abyss).

extract would be preferable
Thanks  Stevemwazup.

I don't have the answer you want... But I do know this: If it the Abyss you want to clone, then you WILL clone the Abyss. lol.

Putting 13F in the box WILL help you reach your goal.

Start out with only a single hop or two and not more than a couple specialty grains. You can change the numbers using Beersmith and adjusting amounts. That will get get you close, but you'll have to adjust the flavor by doing homework and my favorite, trial and error!

It's hard making a new style, I am suffering with a special beer. Try putting that in the box! I posted the recipe on this site looking for feedback..
You might consider doing that.... ?

Good luck Bro.

Someone else JUST brewed a clone of the Abyss not long ago.  Use the Search box up there in the top right corner. 

It's probably still in secondary or possibly just kegged bottled recently. 

Back