• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Infusion Temp problem

E

erik

I know that I'm missing something because I've RTFM'ed a few times. I guess I need to RTFM again :)

If I use the strike/infusion temp tool, it calculates the Infusion water temp correctly:
  Calc: Initial Strike
  Target Step: 152F
  Water: 14.7 qt
  Weight of Grain: 10lb
  Initial temp: 72
  Mash Tun: 35lb (set same in my equipment)
  Infusion Water Temp: 172.8F
  Water/Grain Ratio: 1.47 qt/lb
When I setup a mash profile it doesn't calculate it correctly, even though I have my equipment set in the tool defaults. Also the recipe is wrong and I cannot adjust the Infusion temp in my recipe (without putting in the wrong target temp).
  Mash step details:
    Type: Infusion
    Ratio: 1.47 qt/lb
    Step Temp: 152F
    Infusion Water Temp: 162.4F  ???

I can post more details on my equipment and such if that would help with the debug.

thanks,
e

Have you ticked the check box " Adjust Temp for equipment" in the mash profile section of the recipe view?

Andrew

Andrewqld said:
Have you ticked the check box " Adjust Temp for equipment" in the mash profile section of the recipe view?

Andrew

Yup. :) That raises the infusion temp by 1.5F

I've tried the things that seem obvious to me like checking all my defaults, the MT Specific Heat, etc.
The only thing that helps is the MT weight but as you can see from my example, the "tool" is accurate while the mash profile is not.

thanks

Hi EriK
Instead of me re-posting the answer, check here:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2096.0

If you still have questions feel free to ask.

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
Hi EriK
Instead of me re-posting the answer, check here:
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=2096.0
Thank you Preston!

I only read that message at least twice, :-\. I guess I needed to read it a third time...

I now have a 55lb MT with a .5 Specific Heat, but I nail my temps now :)
Now I have to re-open every one of my recipes and re-choose my equipment.  Since I've put in all of Jamil's recipes from the Brewing Classic Styles book, I may export every recipe to BeerXML and write a script to import the correct equipment settings.

Glad to hear it! Let us know if we can help.

Quick question: You have all Jamil's recipes in BeerSmith? Do you mind posting a copy of the recipes that you have imported to BeerSmith to this forum? I would appreciate having a copy to add to my own DB.

Cheers
Preston

When I first added them in, I asked Jamil if I could and he said that the publisher considers it copyright infringement and would pursue it, so I should not :(.  Most of the recipes are on the beerdujour website and I've written a perl file converter (that is seriously beta software) that should work pretty well.

http://code.google.com/p/promashtobeerxml/

Back