• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottled Water?

HoosierDanny

Apprentice
Reaction score
I know some who use bottled water, but I always boil and chill my water to top up. I know that they filter the water but is it safe to assume that they boil it?  Any thoughts on pouring water straight from the bottle to the wort.

Thanks
Danny

City, well, or bottled water meet certain gov't standards on certain selected criteria, but none of them is guaranteed sanitary/sterile from the bugs that brewers are most worried about.  I would definitely boil any water you have to add after flame-out. 

Depending on your water chemistry profile, tap or bottled may help you adjust the minerals at the same time. 

Contamination was my concern.  i know people who do use bottled water after flame out and I am just not comfortable doing that.  But I also didn't want to boil extra water needlessly. Any thoughts on distilled?

I have always used gal. jugs of spring water to top off etc., I've done 25 batches so far that way and have never had a problem with contamination or off flavors.
I haven't invested in a cooling set up quite yet $$$ so I drop cooled water in my carboy before my cooled wort (ice bath in the sink, before-hand)
If I don't have spring water on hand, yes, I boil, then stick a 2 gallon container (sanitized) in the freezer a few hours ahead of time. No problems yet (knock on beer bottles, lol)

I'm with TommiWommi on this one - I buy 1 gal jugs (in plastic milk jug type jugs) of filtered spring water for top-off of my extract and mini-mash partial boils. At about $1.20 each (I buy 3 gallons) at the local shopping mega-store - its cheap and I've not had an infected batch in the 10 I've done.

I think you're better off worrying about cleaning / sanitizing buckets - carboys - tubing - etc

Good Lord! We have been invaded once again!

Actually I believe they are all the same person up to the same old tricks! Actually they are staying on content, here at least. PROPS to them!

Cheers
Preston

Back