• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How important is mashing out?

sskarupa

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello.  I'm new to BeerSmith, although I have brewed over 20 batches of all Grain using ProMash (I decided to make the switch due to lack of support, new upgrades, new data ...).  To try and get my head wrapped around how BeerSmith works, I took one of my recipes and translated it into BeerSmith, during that translation I learned something:  I have always ommitted the "mash-out" step. 

I usually mash in, using a 5 gal igloo cooler with a false bottom.  After the mash, I hook up a fly sparge and begin to sprinkle hot water on the grain bed while slowly draining wort into the boil kettle.  This is how I've always done it for years.  I've known that you should "mash-out" by raising the bed to ~168 to stop the enzyme process but frankly was a bit confused at how to do this with a fly sparge.  It wasn't until I had plugged my recipe into BS that I realized how it was possible to do it. Although, it has become obvious that my mash tun is too small for this (good excuse to upgrade!).

My question.  How important is this step?  What impact will it have?

Thanks in advance!
-Steve

Hi,
  At one time it was thought to be important to stop the enzymes acting on the sugars, but since boiling does the same thing, I don't believe many people worry about stopping enzymes anymore.

The main purpose in my opinion is to raise the temperature of the mash to thin it and aid in lautering.  Particularly when you have a mash high in proteins such as wheat a mash out help you avoid a stuck mash.  However you want to keep the overall mash temperature below 170F or you risk extracting unwanted tannins.

Cheers,
Brad

If you want to max out your efficiency into the boil kettle - do a mash out.  You'll be able to eek out the last few points of gravity without changing your grain bill.

On the other hand, if you are already comfortable with your efficiency - choose which process sounds like more fun!

Mij

BeerSmith said:
At one time it was thought to be important to stop the enzymes acting on the sugars, but since boiling does the same thing, I don't believe many people worry about stopping enzymes anymore.

I agree not many home brewers worry about stopping enzymes, but I was just reading that the alpha-amylase remains active up thru 162F and above, so if one is mashing at 153F and starts to fly sparge, the mash is continuing to convert during the entire sparge process.  So rather than a 60-minute mash, the mash becomes this variable-length thing that depends on the batch size, ambient temps, grist, and lautering time.  Each batch would be much more unique than it already is. 

It will be still be great beer, but if a brewer is trying to eliminate variance in his extraction efficiency, this would be a key issue.  And you get the other benefits of higher EE% and smoother lautering. 

Back