• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Too much sparge water

maltsteeper

Apprentice
Reaction score
I chose the single infusion med body no mash out option for my mash with 15.75 lbs of grain on a 48 qt cooler mash tun.I want to mash for 60 mins then, drain mash tun, then batch sparge for a 5 gallon batch (7.5 gals preboil).Beersmith says to mash in with 19.69 qts, which sounds fine, then drain, then sparge with 8.42 gallons.If I use the water needed tool I can fill in all the blanks with the above numbers but it gives me a result of "static" . What does that mean?Yesterday I had a result of about 4.6 gallons which seemed right, but now it says "static"....not sure what's going on here.

Ok I figured out what "static" means on the water needed tool.I just had to retype an input and it comes up with 4.92 gals of sparge water, but whan I click on preview brew sheet with the exact same inputs for all my volumes it still shows 8.42 gallons of sparge water, which when added to my mash runnings would give me well over 10 gallons of wort preboil....way too much.Is there a bug , or am I missing something? ???I do have the "drain mash tun before sparging" box checked.

Hi,
  Yes it is possible you found a bug in the sparge water calculation - it was reported (for certain batch sparge settings) a short time ago and I posted a fix here.  I plan to roll it into the main line release this weekend if I can find a few minutes to do it...
    http://beersmith.com/beersmith_patch.zip

Note this is the executable only - you need to drop the unzipped beersmith.exe into your BeerSmith folder and overwrite the old one.

Cheers,
Brad

I have a similar question, so I'll add it into this thread.

The recipe is a 5 gallon partial mash.  3# of grains.  I mashed at 1.5qt/lb, so the mash-in was 4.5 qt of water.  Which is fine.

Then came the sparge - two rounds at 2.29 gallons each!  This is *way* oversparging for 3# of grain.

I'm guessing Beersmith just subtracts the boil volume from the mash volume and sparges with that.  Is there a way to restrict the sparge to a value, like 1/2 gallon / lb of grain?

Thanks,

-Joe

Hi,
  If you want to reduce the sparge water you can try adding water to your equipment profile, which will cut the sparge water.  There is no way to fix it at a certain amount per lb of grain currently.

Cheers,
Brad

Back