• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Repitching yeast

baj475

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have 10.5 gallons of Pale Ale in my fermenter and plan on using the yeast from this batch for my next batch of beer.  This will be the first time I have tried to use the yeast from a previous brew.  How I do I indicate this in my BeerSmith recipe?  It defaults to packages of yeast.

While I could simply add the cooled wort to the fermenter after kegging the Pale Ale, I am thinking that this might be too much yeast.  The Pale Ale began with a starter from a stir plate and I anticipate that there will be about a pint of yeast slurry in the bottom of my fermenter.  Yeast is WLP001.  Any suggestions?

Check out www.mrmalty.com  Jamil has a pitching rate calc that will tell you how much of your yeast to pick up and pitch.

IMHO - I'd just use a couple of packets of US-05 instead, esp with a beer that needs to be nice and clean ;)

baj475 said:
How I do I indicate this in my BeerSmith recipe?  It defaults to packages of yeast.

I have not seen a separate type entry for re-pitched yeast; I think you'd use Notes. 

baj475 said:
.....I am thinking that this might be too much yeast.  The Pale Ale began with a starter from a stir plate and I anticipate that there will be about a pint of yeast slurry in the bottom of my fermenter.  Yeast is WLP001.  Any suggestions?

Many people just pitch right on the slurry, esp. if the 2nd batch is bigger (APA then barleywine) but some techies warn of mutated, tired, or funky yeast after a ferm, esp. if the OG was high or ferm conditions weren't optimal.  Since you have a stir plate, you could scoop up a sample and re-build a new starter, providing fresh O2, nutrients and a rest period afterwards.  But I imagine if the first ferm was OK, you could likely just put wort right on the whole slurry.  It should start very quickly and may need a blow-off. 

I wouldn't worry about mutated, tired or funky yeast at 2 generations. As far as the yeast cell count being too high, that is a concern if you are brewing a beer of similar gravity. Like MaltLicker said, if you are brewing a higher gravity beer, no problem as there is plenty of sugar available for the yeast to thrive on, but if you are doing a beer with similar gravity as the first, I would go with MaltLickers suggestion and make a new starter from a smaller amount. One thing you risk with over pitching is creation of fusel alcohols during fermentation which will give you a nasty drunk and an even nastier hangover.

Back