• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Would it be possible to port Beersmith to native Linux using Mono?

Tekman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Brad:

I'm not a programmer, but have you heard of the mono project by Novell? It looks like it's designed to port .NET applications to native Linux and Mac. I'm sure it sounds easier than it really is. Check it out..

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

It sure would be nice to see a native Linux and Mac version. I'm using Crossover Pro (Wine) with IE6 in ubuntu to run it for now. It's just not the same.

Thanks.

John

Hi,
  Actually the next Major version of BeerSmith is being written using wxWidgets which is cross platform.  I already have it running (though its still an embryonic version) on my Mac and Windows PC.  I have a Linux system ready as well, but need to move it over.  However the Mac and Linux are similar in many ways (both gcc, both unix based, etc), so I don't think the leap from one to the other will be large.

However there is still much development to be done on all the versions - so be patient.  No release date yet, but I intend to have the PC and Mac versions released close to each other with the Linux to follow behind that.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad:

It's nice to hear that a complete brewing suite will finally make its way to Linux.

Thanks.

John

Back