• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB (Boil-In-A-Bag) Brewing mode

S

SuperflyMD

Is there any chance of having an equipment setup that adjusts equipment, recipes and instructions automatically for BIAB method?  Eventually I'll "get it" enough to make the adjustments on my own, but for now I could use some help. 

I'd like to take an all grain recipe kit with instructions, for example Austin Homebrew's Texas Bock, input the ingredients and print out an instruction sheet for BIAB.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

SF

Hi,
  I'll certainly take a look at it - I'm thinking of possibly having sparge profiles of some kind to handle batch sparge, no sparge, BIAB and fly sparging.

Cheers,
Brad

If there's a time to setup that adjusts equipment, recipes and instructions automatically for BIAB method, what would be the effect?

BIAB is gaining in popularity due to it's simplicity and low equipment needs. I would also like to see BeerSmith cater for us BIAB brewers.

I think it would be cool to have a built-in BIAB mash profile. That's really all that's needed to make it easier to get started with BIAB. But in the meantime, you can easily create your own BIAB mash profile. That's what I did, and am on my 4th BIAB partial mash.

For recipe conversion, you could add a Tool for converting between all grain -> partial mash -> full extract and quickly tweaking the ratios of grain to extract in the partial mash model. I find this easy enough to do already in the recipe view, but a tool could maybe make the tradeoffs clearer to beginners.

I would also like this feature - I'm currently using the method John Palmer describes in the Jamil Z / John P  book Brewing Classic Styles - Appendix C. Very simple and seems to work well

THANKS

Bump. Something for the moderators to consider in a competitive market: the brewing software that caters for BIAB will definitely have a competitive edge in Australia.

BIAB has become a really commonly used method in Australia. People starting out in all grain often use it because it requires less equipment and is simple.  People like me simply continue to use it because there is no real advantage to changing to batch or fly sparge when the efficiency is so high with BIAB. You'd have to go to herms or rims to improve.

The no chill method has also become almost the standard starting point.

Brett

ps BIAB is actually Brew in a bag.

bcp,
  You nailed it. I have been BIAB for only 1 year and I have never brewed so much in my 5 years of brewing. At club brews I have to brew twice just to stay with the guys and drink. My beer was chosen last month to represent our club and a local competition. Whoo Hoo for BIAB and No chill! http://www.biabrewer.info

Bump!  I'd love to see Beersmith have options for BIAB!  I've got a 10 gal computer controlled RiMS set up that I brew on regularly, but I've made the addition of a 5 Gal BIAB set up because sometimes I just don't have the time to roll out the big boy.  Not to mention, BIAB is great for doing pilot brews to find out if you like the beer before moving to larger batches.

How do you think this should be best implemented?  I was thinking of a new option in the mash profile that would allow the sparge and mash water to be combined (i.e. a very high volume mash).  Is this how you do it or do you usually mash with less water and add water during the boil?

Brad

There are a few methods.
* Most people simply use it as a full volume mash, no sparge or water added.
* Others do a high volume mash and sparge the bag.
* Some do a concentrated mash and add top up water for the boil (eg, if they are doing a RIS & their pot is too small for full volume with all that grain in there)

Brad if you're going to include something I can start a process of getting formal input from brewers in australia on variations, so you can have a clear picture of requirements.

I do have two mash profiles that someone shared with me:
BIAB full volume single infusion, medium body, no mashout.
BIAB full volume single infusion, medium body, mash out.

Just an interesting aside, in setting up equipment, someone pointed out, "the batch size should be the total end of boil volume, trub included. But you want to leave the trub losses field empty as it can throw the calcs out. Have a play with it ie. 25L batch gives X IBU, 20 L batch + 5L loss to trub gives Y IBU. But in theory they should be the same."

Thanks - could you send me your thoughts on the variations needed to my email?  I'm working to get the program into beta now, but it would not be too late to make some changes to accomodate the BIAB profiles.

Brad

I'll get some input from others and get send it to you.

Back