• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

to bottle or to age, this is the question.

econolinevan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I have a robust porter in primary and need to get it into 2ndary.  I have two 2ndary carboys, one has an imperial kona stout, been in there for 1 month  and I'd like to keep it in there a little longer.  The other has a anchor steam clone in it and it's been there for about two weeks.  My first choice would be to bottle the steam, but I'm hesitant because I'm still getting about two bubbles  per minute thru the airlock.
I took gravity readings the last two days and they are both around 1.006-7, but it's hard to get a good reading in test tube because of all the damn bubbles.  I need to get my porter into one of these carboys today.  Should I sacrifice the ageing on my iks or chance bottling some steam bombs?

If you are confident in your FG of 1.007, then I think you are safe bottling the steam.  The late bubbling in the airlock could be for several reasons, none of which would be a concern.  For ex, if the steam's temp is rising during the day it would hold less CO2 in solution.  And 1.007 is below the style guidelines for a steam so it's ready by that measure too. 

Thank you for the advice Maltlicker.  I bottled the Steam and transferred the Porter.  Life Seems to be good.

Back