• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

An idea for partial mash

stevemwazup

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
   I have been taking advantage of the articles from BeerSmith, a lot of great info, Thanxs

Being new to partial mashing, I found the May 14, article to be a big help to me.

The method of using a picnic cooler as an insulator is a great idea.

What IF ????
I haven't tried this yet, but I thought I would throw this out to the Big Boy's and get your thoughts.
I'm thinking of using a crock pot, slow cooker  7qt. to do the partial mash in. If I play around with the different temperature controlls to keep the mash at a constant 160.   Plus use the timer for 60 mins, Then it should make for some happy beer.

Let me know what you guys think.

stevemwazup

It's worth a shot. But!

Before you try it fill it with water and see if it can be done. I think the lowest setting on mine is around 200. Which would be ideal for Slow cooking, but not for beer.

Try it and find out!

Cheers
Preston

I think if I use the medium setting with the lid off, I could get the right temp.

I'll make some oatmeal with the crock pot then hold it with this setting just to see where the temp is at.

stevemwazup.

As I do more partial mashing I will probably invest in a small cooler for the job. In the meantime I'm using Jamils stove top partial mashing - see attached

Attachments

• Jamil's Mini-Mash Process.doc
    10 KB · Views: 5
I've been mashing in the typical 5-gallon s/s brewing pot, putting it in a warm oven at 170F.  Holds temps great.  (I've actually been doing all-grain, full-boil using 7.5 lbs of grain to make 3.5 gallon batches.) 

Using the oven to hold the temperature is a great idea, you could use more grain volume that way vs. the 7 qt crock pot method but for a limited grain bill partial mash, I guess it could work. But the oven method is a lot more versatile. Thanks

Also liked the Jamil's mini mash article.  Thanks SleepySam

stevemwazup.

stevemwazup said:
     Using the oven to hold the temperature is a great idea, you could use more grain volume that way vs. the 7 qt crock pot method but for a limited grain bill partial mash, I guess it could work. But the oven method is a lot more versatile. Thanks

stevemwazup.

This is pretty easy to do - but insulation of the pot is key --- pull the pot off the stove and place on a heating pad - then wrap with several towels

SleepySamSlim said:
stevemwazup said:

stevemwazup.

This is pretty easy to do - but insulation of the pot is key --- pull the pot off the stove and place on a heating pad - then wrap with several towels
What size pot do you use SleepySam? And how much grain are you using for a partial mash? For a 5 gal batch? or larger.

I'm brewing partial batches at about 3.5gal. For the stove top mini-mash I'm using a 2gal stainless steel soup pot - which works but is a tight fit for the grain bag. As I do more I need to get a 2.5 or 3gal pot to mash in. On just a couple of batches I've done 3lbs (of barley and specialty grains) is the most I've mashed.

I built a mini-mash-tun from a 2-gallon cooler, and when I mash I cover the cooler with a large insulated grocery bag. ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/kgs/3378140705/in/set-72157615665837325/ ) Before I mash, I fill the cooler with very hot water and let the water get down to the right temperature, which warms the cooler a bit. I try not to check the temperature too often (so I'm not introducing cool air) but my spot-checks and final temperature check indicate that this method results in almost no temperature drop.

That said, the idea of using a crockpot has occurred to me as well. I've seen them all the way up to 8.5 quarts.

If you try this and it works?? Please let us know. I have a tiny kitchen and such and this would be a perfect thing for me. I haven't tried mashing at all but I am looking into it.

stevemwazup said:
What IF ????
I haven't tried this yet, but I thought I would throw this out to the Big Boy's and get your thoughts.
I'm thinking of using a crock pot, slow cooker  7qt. to do the partial mash in. If I play around with the different temperature controlls to keep the mash at a constant 160.   Plus use the timer for 60 mins, Then it should make for some happy beer.
I like the idea, 160F is OK for steeping, but is too warm for a mash.  Try for 150-155F and you should be fine (150F is what I typically recommend targeting).

Fred

I've been reading a lot of posts here at this forum, and I've learned a lot.
Like mashing at a temperature of 140F vs. 150 or 155 might not seem like a big difference to a newbie,
but those temps can change your beer from full body to being dry.

Another point that was new to me was the lower the temp the longer you might want to mash.

Fred, Let me know if I understood these post correctly

Since I have a little more info on the desired temp to mash, I think I'll try the crock pot method with a little more caution. But I will try it and post my results.
Thanks again Fred for your posts.

The purpose of a mash is to achieve the desired sugar profile in the wort for the beer that you are intending to brew.  Mash length is one parameter that I use to make (especially for my monster beers) the wort as fermentable as possible.
With a partial mash the impact of temp is not as severe/noticiable as with an all-grain brew, simply because there is less of it.

Generally higher temps lead to a fuller bodided beer and lower temps lead to a drier beer.

Many more factors are involved as is the recipe, even down to which brand of extract you use.  Brewing is a process and everything you do from recipe formulation thru carbonation of the (nearly) finished product as an impact on your brew.

Fred

Back