• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Growing hops in containers

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
With the cost of hops showing no signs of reducing in cost - I decided to grow six varieties that I use frequently. After reading an article in BYO about container gardening - I ordered the rhizomes and started planning. The rhizomes arrived late March and I planted them in used 1 gallon planting containers using a quality potting mix. I'm growing: Willamette, Goldings, Mt Hood, Cascades, Perle, Tettnager. 

We have the average sized lot in the burbs, but I decided containers would give me the most flexibility. From growing Cascades in the ground the past couple of years - we know hops are a hardy and aggressive plant (both in vines and roots). I wanted a fairly large container but cheap as well. I ended up spending $2.15 each for the 5gal buckets sold at our HomeDepot building store. Orange but cheap. Then using cheap cedar fence boards - 2x2's - and 1x2's I built some very rough boxes to go over the buckets. But the covers are also the anchor point for a 1x2 sticking up 12ft. A length of jute runs from an eye bolt on top of the mast to a hole drilled in the bucket. Total cost of each box + mast is about $10 and come winter they can be stored as the masts are bolted on.

I figure every 2 years I'll have to re-pot the hops as they will be getting root-bound. That will be an opportunity to harvest a good number of rhizomes to give to friends - sell - or trade. Attached are a few pics

Attachments

• hop-box-front.jpg
    hop-box-front.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,892
  • hop-box-const.jpg
    hop-box-const.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 1,369
Well Done!

That saves more money for Beer Supplies!

Cheers
Preston

Keep us posted.  I am looking at growing hops in containers to supplement my in ground hop plants.  Just wondering how big of a container you need to produce a decent hop cone harvest.  I imagine it would take regular feedings to maintain the high growth rate.  Also wondering if you need to harvest hop rhizomes each year to make room for the root stock / crown?

Back