• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Computer hung, had to restart manually... now BeerSmith won't open

A

ajwillys

I had a problem where my computer hung completely (with BeerSmith opened but I wasn't using it at the time).  I had to hold the power button to get it to turn off.  After coming back on, BeerSmith will not open, it gets to the Welcome Screen and just hangs.  I backed up the directory, removed it and did a re-install, but the same thing happens again.  What could be the problem?

Well, it looks after the complete re-install and then another reboot, its back working again.  Now I have to figure out which files to import back into Beersmith to get my custom settings back.  I'm sure a search or two will help me with that.

Hi,
  If you have a backup of the files - the BSM files contain your data (Recipes.bsm, Hops.bsm, etc).  If one of those don't open you can use the BAK files (Recipes1.bak, etc) to get the data you may have lost.  Open the file and then cut/paste what you want into your My Recipes and other tables.

Cheers,
Brad

I had a similar thing, big bolt of lightning outside the house, made my computer flicker (on a surge protector) and then BeersSmith opens, but when I go to pick a recipe it stops working. I reinstalled, uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same thing. Can't even get the sample recipes to open.
Help?

So, it looks like most things do work, including recipe preview, so worst-case I can copy them aaaaaalll down. :-[
Won't let me open a new recipe either. Does that help?

Hi,
  To make it simple, I would suggest first making a complete backup copy of your BeerSmith directory ( and compatability directory under that as well if you are running Vista as a non-admin user).

Then I would suggest installing BeerSmith, but install it to a different directory such as one under your "My Documents" directory.

Finally once you have it running you can import the old recipes from your backup copy.

Cheers,
Brad

Great. Where is the BeerSmith directory? I don't see recipes anywhere.
I'm admin, btw. I'm still not that fond of Vista, so I haven't taken much time to get to know it on this machine. Under "beersmith" I see only an exe and uninstall.

Hi,
  It should be in the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory if you installed it using the defaults.

Cheers,
Brad

Well, well. Seems it just needed a day of rest. Look sto be back to normal - go figure.
Love the program. Keep it up.

Back