• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

moldy beer

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I recently lost several batches in a row to mold.  In fact all batches I started over the winter met a moldy death.  I was attempting to make lagers, taking advantage of my 50-55 degree basement.  What I didn't take into account was the cat boxes and dog kennel. 
My ales live on the ground floor under normal room temperature conditions.  But more importantly when I rack them they are not exposed to the same air as what is in the basement.

At least that's all I can think of that went wrong, because I had over thirty mold free batches in a row before this string of bad luck, and all ales since have been fine.  Same equipment.

I just wanted to share because I was all excited about making lager for the first time, made five batches to have a nice supply for the summer, and lost it all because I shared the air with my pets.

Stupid people don't learn, smart people learn from their own mistakes, wise people learn from others. 
I hope to give people the chance to be wise with this post.

Bummer on the moldy beer - I had to dump out 2 batches over the winter one for mold (surface gunk) the other was a fermentation I could not revive.

But a string like you've had is weird - while you've been brewing longer than I have ... something has to have changed or gone bad. Once you've sealed a carboy and fitted it with a air-lock it should be pretty hard to infect. Although one of my bad batches did have a loose seal on the rubber bung that holds the airlock -- not sure how --- but now I am always checking seals whether in primary or secondary.

I would examine every part of your brewing system and chemicals ..... good luck

Note to self: Get rid of dogs and cats! They kill Beer!  ;D

Seriously, Sorry to hear about the bad batches. I understand the disappointment. Been there, Done that!

Cheers
Preston

The Red I made since the bouts of mold is just fine.  No exposure to basement air, and no mold. 

I'm relieved in that I have isolated the problem, but disappointed that all my efforts to make lager failed.

I need a climate controlled brew shed or something...

Back