• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barley Crusher settings

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey! Hope you are all doing well.
I just got the Barley Crusher from the BeerSmith site.
Looks like a very good unit!
It is preset to 0.039.
Has anyone had some experience with this particular mill?
What setting are you at?  At 0.039, or up or down from there.
I just kind of need a reference or starting point.
I'm sure I'll get the feeler gauges out and try some adjusting at some point.
I am doing my first 10 AG this weekend and will be milling up some barley!
I'll probably do the grain at that setting and see how it goes.
I had been getting my grain milled from the Internet store that I had been using.
But without having any of that on hand right now, it is hard to compare.
I ran some of my grain through the mill and it looks OK.  My first thought was that it was milled a little too much.
Maybe not.
I'll probably go with it.  I have been adding rice hulls to the ales and IPA's that I have been making.  So that will help if it is too fine.
It will be good!

I tinkered with mine, and used a feeler gauge to get back to 0.039.  Have had good luck there. 

Mine came at .039 also and I have never felt the need to change it. I did run some pre-milled grains through it and it did a better job than the LBS.

I say leave it where it is.

Cheers
Preston

Mine is set at the default setting.  I always get about 80% efficiency.  I had adjusted it once but it didn't change the efficiency.  It's easy to return back to the default settings by using the marks on the adjuster knobs in case you ever change it.

I've done 3 batches so far with mine and as far as the default setting goes I've got no issues.

Only "other" issues I've observed are:

1) Awkward use over a bucket.  Seems to bounce around a bit while had cranking, I need something a bit more secure.

and,

2) Sore arm from hand cranking. lol.  Get a drill huh?

Congrats on your purchase.

Back