• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith Hop ulilisation calculation and boil volume

BeerMonster,

No worries, the devil is in the details right? Any way it wasn't that obvious or this thread wouldn't have gotten this long.  

Anyway, there are a couple of reasons people might be able to reduce their boil volume without reducing their IBU's.  Remember it all has to do with that boil gravity so if there are more sugars in that wort than there will be less IBU's.  So if someone reduced their boil volume if they also reduce their efficiency (which means less sugar in the wort) then that won't move the IBU's all that much.  More than likely though, if someone reduces their boil volume and are still able to maintain the same IBU's, for a partial mash or extract brew, it probably has something to do with them adding less extract for the duration of the boil and more at the end (like Palmer suggests).  

But to answer your question more directly, anybody who has the recipe entered just as you do should not be able to reduce their volume without reducing their IBU's they, must be doing something different than you  

Also, BeerSmith will allow you to add the second can at the end of the boil.  If, when in your recipe view, you double click on the the second can of extract a (dialogue?) box will open with several things in it.  A little more than half way down you'll notice the properties section of the box.  You have two options there that can be useful here.  The "Late Extract Boil For"  check box and the "Add After Boil" check box.  Either one will add the extract later in the process.  I would suggest using the "late Extract Boil For" box and enter a value of 1 minute.  If you use the "Add After Boil" box your brewsheet will have you add the extract after you've cooled the wort which of course is not what you want.  If you use the Late Extract Boil For check box you can add 1 minute and your brewsheet will have you put the extract in with about a minute left in the boil with a minimal influence on your IBU's.  

Hope this helps, and good luck!

BeerMonster said:
However, plying with these recipes in Beersmith I discovered that the selection of the Bittering method (Tinseth/Rager/Garetz) has a major bearing on the predicted IBUs. So for example taking a recipe for Landlord's Strong Pale Ale, ....the recipe's 33IBU if Rager is the bitterness method.  But if Tinseth is used, predicted IBUs are only 24.6. Garetz gives only 19.9.

So it seems to be equally as important to select the appropriate Bittering method

....ah, the slippery slope.  These Bittering Models are each a forecast of the actual IBUs, and like any economist's forecast, it is likely wrong.  Tinseth, Rager, et al., each made assumptions about how hops would be utilized, yada, yada.  (How could they possibly predict your kettle size and shape, your rolling boil, your unique setup?) 

But that raises a good point:  it is helpful to know the Bittering Model used by the brewer whose recipe you're trying to copy, so that your IBUs and the BU:GU ratio make sense.  If your entering a Zymurgy recipe based on Rager, and your BeerSmith is on the default choice of Tinseth, you'll chase that difference for some time.

I'd love to see the next version of BSmith show all three Bittering Model numbers onscreen at once, instead of having to dive deep into Tools\Options\Bitterness to change it back and forth.  When I'm making a new recipe from scratch, I'll change between Rager and Tinseth to verify the difference and see if both IBUs are within the style guidelines. 

Is there one that is favored over others?  I'm wondering why the default in BeerSmith is Tinseth as opposed to the other two?  I personally could care less about any of the formulas per se but if your using someone elses recipe I can see where knowing what method they use to determine utilization would be helpful. 

In other words, knowing which method was used, not how each method works is probably whats important at the homebrew level.

Back