• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

lemons and wheat

C

camel

Here I am with a Stout and a pale ale fermenting and my girlfriend would like something lemony... ::)
So I've been thinkng on brewing some wheat beer (which is far from my norm) and thought about using some lemon zest in the las few minutes of the boil (for the lady's sake... not that I won't enjoy it to!)
Here is my recipe... Any suggestions or critiques are welcome. I am completely clueless (other than doing some homework!) about wheat so please, fire away!!! Thanks!

Batch size 5.25. Mash temp 150...
THE LEMON
6* pilsner 2 row
5* wheat malt
1* Aromatic malt
1* Rice Hulls
.5* Flaked Oats
1 oz Hallertau for 45 mins 11.4 IBU
Zest of 3 lemons last 3 mins of boil
1 oz Camomile last 3 mins of boil
wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat

With the flaked oats, fresh citrus zest and Chamomile, this is a great Belgian Wit recipe except the yeast.  If you want a wit, I'd recommend the 3944 or the White wit yeast - both are good. 

On my wit, I use zest from 2 oranges/tangerines and some of one lemon.  Three full lemons will be sharper than that.  I use one tea bag of chamomile but I've not weighed that before. 

If you want instead the German hefe, perhaps mash a tad higher for a little more body.  If hefe, it is possible the banana/clove may conflict with all the lemon, or it might be great. 

I'm sure either path will be good.  Enjoy.

NOTED. Thanks a lot for your advice... I'll definitely look into the yeast. The tangerines are an excellant idea. Perhaps I'll use a blend between the two, tangerines and lemons. Since I wrote my original post I did some research and a higher mash seems to be in order for additional sweetness and body.
Thanx much ;D

If you go wit, the attached has scored very well twice recently and yet not won JACK.  I'm having a pity party over that beer. 

I think the mash sked of 105F adjunct rest and the 154F saach rest made the difference.  This is the first wit I've done that stayed cloudy.  It still pours a hazy straw color. 

Ignore the QTYs on the Misc items - I do all those by sight in a mortar/pestle. 

Attachments

• Wit4.bsm
    21.5 KB · Views: 287
:eek: WOW! That is one serious recipe brother... I have never heard of some of your ingredients. I don't usually copy people's craftmanship but I think I may have to borrow this one! lol.
You obviously have been into this game for a while....
Winning a contest would be a great deal for such a recipe, keep trying;

And just so you know, I think we could round up a few thousand people to drink at your pity party!
Cheers.

Back