• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Malta Recipe?

T

tresero

Anyone have a malta recipie? I would like to make some for my daughters 3rd Bday in June.

I have some hints, but nothing solid i.e

14 - 15  plato/1.055 OG

80% Pale Ale Malt
15% Caramel Malt
5% Chocolate Malt

Cluster or Galena hops. No IBU's found, but I assume not much since this is pretty sweet stuff.

I also found that newer breweries are using adjuncts, though traditionally they weren't used.

I will experiment if no one has any ideas.

Thanks

Well I made a version, I will taste it tomorrow.

Some on the fly modifications, but here was the final recipe.

8 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs Crystal 20
.5 lbs Chocolate
13 oz Cane Sugar Extract

1.25 oz Liberty Whole Hops ( I wanted Clusters but had these real fresh)

IBU 19.3
1.040 pre boil
1.064 OG 13 brix

This might even make a good beer recipe

Well, the malta was ok. To hoppy for kids, so after a tasting with Michael Ferguson the head brewer at Barleys, we are going to reboil and add some ale yeast.

Next time raise the OG with more Cane Sugar and cut back hops to 5 ibu

I'm not familiar with Malta - what is the style?

Brad

It is actually not beer, but wort.
It is a very popular drink in the Caribean and you can buy it here in the states. It is considered food in many countries as it (historically) was only Malt, Water and Hops. Children were "fed" this when they weren't eating well.

Some examples are Malta Hatuay, Malta India.

I am making it for my daughters 3rd Bday and figured I would start early.  The good thing is my mistakes will be turned into beer ;D

Well, it was much to hoppy for a malta so after the addition of some English Ale Yeast, it turned into a very good southern english brown.

Anyone going to the AHA in Las Vegas will be able to sample this at the SNAFU table on club night.

Back