• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Table Rock Nut Brown Ale

SleepySamSlim

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to taste this brew ? 

I've heard a lot of good things about it and my brother-in-law used to live in Boise and has raved about it. I like to brew on the malty side and am looking to brew a nut brown ale. I have the clone recipe from BYO and came across an interview with the head brewer where they talk about brewing this ale. So this recipe looks pretty good and if anyone has any comments on the actual brew I'd love to hear them.

Hmmm - Well I'm guessing we don't have any active members in the Boise area - or they don't like TableRock - or both :eek:

Well I shall blindly march forward and brew this beer in a few weeks ;D

I have a lot of family in Boise and I stop in there whenever I am in town. Pretty decent beer. Can you post the recipe?

Darin

Clone recipe from BYO Replicator

Table Rock Brewing  -  Nut Brown Ale
            (5 gallon, extract with grains)

OG=1.054

FG=1.015

IBU’S = 18

Alcohol 3.9% by volume

Ingredients

6.6 Lbs.  Briess Light malt extract syrup

1 lb  Dextrin malt

.5 Lb. Carastan malt

6 ounces Brown malt

4 ounces Crystal malt (120L)

2 ounces Black Patent malt

2 ounces Chocolate malt

5.8 AAU Willamette hops (bittering hop)

(1.0 oz. of 5.8% alpha acid)

1 tsp Irish moss for 60 min

White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast or Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast

O.75 cup of corn sugar for priming.

Step by step

Steep the 6 crushed grains in 3 gallons of water at 150º for 30 minutes.  Remove grains from wort, add malt syrup and bring to a boil.  Add Willamette (bittering) hops, Irish moss and boil for 60 minutes.

When done boiling, add wort to 2 gallons cool water in a sanitary fermenter, and top off with cool water to 5.5 gallons.  Cool the wort to 80º, heavily aerate the beer and pitch your yeast.  Allow the beer to cool over the next few hours to 68º-70º, and hold at these cooler temperatures until the yeast has fermented completely.  Bottle your beer, age for 2-3 weeks and Enjoy! 

All grain option:

This is a single infusion mash.  Replace the light syrup with 8.0 lbs. USA pale malt, mash your grains at 158º for 60 minutes.  Collect enough wort to boil for 90 minutes and have a 5.5-gallon yield.  Lower the amount of the Willamette boiling hops to 0.75 oz. to account for higher extraction ratio of a full boil.  The remainder of the recipe is the same as the extract.

Back