• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Everything is blowing off now

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So, two batches outside now, the 2nd one much better off than the first.  I decided to make another ESB to make the comparison easier.  Anyway, both batches have started strong and then after 'bout 24 hours, decided to blow thru the airlock.  I'm putting the same volume of 4 gals into a 5 gal carboy, using a chest freezer at approx. 67F.  First was S04, second was Windsor, prepared the same way.  First was 1.055, second was 1.050, same color, roughly same ingredients.  The first got down to 1.015, so 72 AA%. 

On second, I used some FermCapS at end of boil, hoping it would fight off a blow-off. 

Other than boiling bigger batch sizes outside on propane, the only difference I can think of is adding some expired dry yeast in addition to the yeast nutrient.  But I added a whole pack on first and only a little bit on the second. 

Prior to these outdoor batches, I can't remember the last time a blow-off was required. 

Any ideas on why these outside boils are fermenting so much more violently? 

What was the fermentation temp? I have seen the same yeast go crazy at 75F, and be very mild at 68.

Cheers
Preston

Both were 66 to 68F.

The other diff that came to mind is the clarity/purity of the wort I put in the fermenter.  Whereas in the kitchen I dumped the entire contents thru a funnel, and had mucho trub get thru the straining bag, I am now catching the initial dirty wort and tossing it out before connecting the tubing and collecting MUCH cleaner wort.  The clarity and lack of gunk is quite amazing.  I just don't know if that makes a diff in the power of the ferm. 

The only blow off disaster I had WAS at higher temp. But I also had 1.095OG and huge starters.  What a huge mess. Then the churning and heat output by the yeast was amazing. All my other fermentations are gentle by comparison. I did 5.5 gallons in 6 gal glass.

I always look for changes in process when looking at results that are different. The fact that you are fermenting "cleaner wort" may in some way making the yeast perform better. Maybe less non-fermentables etc.

While I'm just doing extract and grains I really noticed a ton of chaff and such while steeping on the current batch. I'm planning on now steeping in a separate pot - then when done - remove the grain bag and put it in a strainer over the brew pot - and pour the tea thru the grain bag hoping it will filter a lot of the chaff and crap. I'll have to make a note to watch that fermentation. I use both those yeasts and typically see a inch or two of krausen - but one recent batch yielded a solid 4 inch layer and fermented to 1.009.

Back