• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bulk grain storage

econolinevan

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a new barley crusher.  I got the smaller hopper and if needed I believe I could easily make it bigger.  Can't wait to start crushing and brewing.  I am holding off for the time being due to  the weather here in eastern washington being in the mid to upper nineties & the purchasing of a new house and I'd rather get settled in to the new digs and let the brewing season begin with cooler weather in my new garage.
I had a chance to save 40% on some bulk organic malted grains with the sale cut off on 7/15.  I won't  open the bags till I'm ready to mash in like 1.5 to 2 months from now.  The daytime temp in the storage area is in the mid seventies and I really don't have a cooler place here at my current residence to store it.
Is this going to have a negitive effect on my malt?  Is there anything I can do to preserve till I'm ready to brew?

New Home Bruce

I keep al my grain in large plastic totes that you buy at walmart and store them in 70deg temps and have never had a problem. ( but my grain never lasts that long ) I buy 50 lbs at a time and have had it last as long as 16 weeks in the winter time! Just keep it cool and dry.

Back