• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions on a Wit..

T

therobot

First off, the recipe, basically Brad's from the Beersmith Blog:

Recipe: Wit-tastic

Brewer: 103rd St. Brewery

Asst Brewer:

Style: Witbier

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 10.00 gal     

Boil Size: 12.55 gal

Estimated OG: 1.051 SG

Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM

Estimated IBU: 14.4 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     

10.00 lb      Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)            Grain        45.45 %     

10.00 lb      Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                  Grain        45.45 %     

2.00 lb      Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        9.09 %       

2.00 oz      Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %]  (60 min)Hops        14.4 IBU     

1.50 oz      Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)            Misc                     

2.00 oz      Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)        Misc                     

2 Pkgs        Cooper Ale (Coopers #-)                  Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb

----------------------------

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   

60 min        Mash In            Add 27.50 qt of water at 169.8 F    154.0 F     

So, the problem that I ran into was with a rather low efficiency (55%, approx), both in volume into the fermenters (only about 8.5 gallons) and the OG (only about 1.41).  The only reason that I did ten gallons is that I wanted to use all the hops I bought, but I think the problem I ran into was that there was a lot of really sticky (and I'm sure sugary) water left in my grains that just wouldn't run out.  Stuck sparge, but only right at the last bit of the sparge (the beginnings of the batch sparges went well.).  I couldn't do a mashout because of the volume of water involved in my Igloo cooler (a couple of gallons too much.) 

Any recommendations?  With so much wheat in the profile should I just make sure that I always only do 5 gallon batches so that I can do a proper mashout and help the flow?

therobot said:
So, the problem that I ran into was with a rather low efficiency (55%, approx), both in volume into the fermenters (only about 8.5 gallons) and the OG (only about 1.41).  The only reason that I did ten gallons is that I wanted to use all the hops I bought, but I think the problem I ran into was that there was a lot of really sticky (and I'm sure sugary) water left in my grains that just wouldn't run out.  Stuck sparge, but only right at the last bit of the sparge (the beginnings of the batch sparges went well.).  I couldn't do a mashout because of the volume of water involved in my Igloo cooler (a couple of gallons too much.) 

Any recommendations?  With so much wheat in the profile should I just make sure that I always only do 5 gallon batches so that I can do a proper mashout and help the flow?
I would hazard a guess that the 2# of oats was the culprit behind your stuck Sparge, which diminishes your efficiency. For the mash I would have added rice hulls which would have helped with the stuck sparge. Anytime I add Wheat, Rye, or Oats I always add rice hulls. For a 5G batch I add 1/4 to 1/2 lb, for a 10G batch I add 1lb. That should keep the stuck sparge from happening again. So you should be able to do a 10G batch with no problems.

If you want to do a mash out and don't have the room, you can do a Decoction Mash Out. Duplicate and modify one of BeerSmith's Mash profiles and add the mash out as a Decoction. Basically you pull out X amount of the grist and boil it and add it back in. Be sure to stir it constantly because you don't want it to burn!

Cheers
Preston

Thanks!  I'll try the decoction mashout next time and see if it works.  I've used rice hulls before too, don't know why I didn't this time.

Back