• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

False bottom and silicon sealant questions..

T

therobot

I was thinking of building a false bottom out of a food grade plastic lid that I got off a giant olive bucket we have at work.  I know it's food grade safe, but does anyone have any idea if there would be any problem with the lid at mash/sparge temps?  Maybe melting or not being food grade safe at that temp?

Second question, I built myself a mash tun, in the typical cooler style with a ball valve out, and used rubber washers for spacing.  I then sealed it with aquarium safe silicon, but noticed that the silicon turned green.  It didn't do this on the other one I built, which used silicon o-rings instead of the rubber washer.  Thinking maybe it leached something out of the rubber (or ate it a little) when it was drying, any ideas here?

Thanks ya'll.

The $1 grey replacement bung for a 5 liter minikeg fits most cooler holes(once you remove the plastic spigot) really well.  Mine popped in and doesn't leak.

Back