• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Red wheat vs brewing wheat?

S

schlemoc

i went down to my local AGWAY and asked them if they had some wheat that was non treated.  all they have is red wheat.  same thing as what people brew with for beers, similiar enough, or very dangerous to even attempt to make something with?  anyone got an idea on this?  much cheaper than what my HBS offers it for.  $.25 a pound instead of $2 a pound, but its not in a plastic bag.  gotta package yourself.  no drawback there.  any opinions on this.  it is non-treated so it has no poisons.  thanks.

It's probably not malted, which limits its usefulness. Some Belgian beers use a portion of unmalted wheat, but I can't think of any others right now. Also, feed wheat is generally of inferior quality. The wheat that's not good enough to be malted gets sent to the feed market. All in all, I wouldn't use it.

Also, $2 a pound is HIGH! You can get good wheat malt for well under $1 a pound, even with shipping. Look around and you'll save a lot of money.

Back