• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

new here.. never brewed before

M

mealkifish

Hi all..
I've never brewed anything before but I hope to start real soon. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

I would say find a Local home brew (LHB) store and by an extract kit (Including equipment) of a beer that you have tried and liked. The cost could range from $60-$150 depending on the kit you buy. If it is something you feel that you want to do alot of, buy the highend kit. You will get  more for the money. Also Read the online version of How To Brew at http://www.howtobrew.com/.

If it is still something you want to persue, buy more books, get more equipment, Make equipment, and have fun with the hobby!

Cheers
Preston

If you've never watched someone brew, find a club and attend a brew session or befriend their avid brewers and invite yourself over the next time they brew.  I brewed my first batch without ever seeing it done and it is more challenging if you've never seen it.  Home brewers generally are quite sharing and like to show off their stuff. 

Check out www.monkeysee.com.  Do a search for "brewing beer".  You will find a series of videos there that take you through the entire process for brewing beer from start to finish (drinking your beer) in your kitchen.  Well done videos.

Just a little addendum to my last post. 

Searching for "how to brew beer at home" (instead of "brewing beer") will put the first episode at the top of the search results. Click on the first post to start the series.  With MonkeySee.com, if there is a series of videos, and you are playing one of the videos, it will list the rest of the series underneath the video player in the order they should play.

What I like to do is click the first in a series to get it started loading.  I then hit the pause button when it starts to play and let it finish loading before I play the video.  This way it doesn't start and stop, start and stop, etc.

I then right click on the next video in the series and select "Open Link In New Tab" and do the same there.  That way I can have all of the series loading up in tabs.  I then go onto doing some other chore (mow the lawn, change the oil, whatever) while these are loading, and come back to view them later, when they are all loaded.  This makes the viewing experience more enjoyable, and time is not wasted on trying to watch while they are loading at the same time.

Back