Author Topic: Better Bottle Carboy  (Read 48178 times)

Offline Ilovebeer

• BeerSmith Brewer
Re: Better Bottle Carboy
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 08:20:17 PM »
I read about a guy almost cutting his hand off in a glass carboy accident. The next day, my friend was shaking one with cleaner and it slipped out of his hands and when it hit it was like an explosion, big shards of glass flying fast and far, thankfully away from us. The next day I ordered two BB but hung onto my glass because I was afraid of scratches, etc. But I have used the BB almost exclusively for about a year and a half and have had zero problems. I am more careful not to let the metal part of the carboy brush to touch the side, and I quit using my powered carboy cleaner although it might be OK. Visually, it gets very clean without a lot of effort. I don't have the hole in the side because I use CO2 to transfer. I have one of their air locks but I end up connecting a hose to it and putting it into a bottle of water so I can see the rate of bubbles. I could see it for a very long secondary where you might let the ferm lock run dry, but otherwise not sure it is worth the investment. I have sold my glass and will never go back. I don't know how many time I nearly dropped the glass and I don't want to lose a lot of blood for it. 

Offline piper55

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • stonewoods brewery
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »
 Am I wrong or is a better bottle just a water jug?

Offline beercheer4me

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • Brewing for 6 plus years, Geat hobby,
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
Go to the BB site and read the cleaning , instructions ,, I cut my thumb where I sure have had stiches but the cut was so clean that I was super glue
(non toxic ) and got lucky and it healed nicely I still have glass and want to sell them but everyone in my brew club going to BB because they seen what happen to me
3 kettle keg 15.5 , 2 pumps, plate chiller, oxygen setup, lager box,4 taps, 8 plus better bottles and glass carboys ,R.O. Water System, PICO screen from adventures home brew, great screen i like it up to 80 percent effiencent
at times , into yeast ranching now
ON tap

maddspoiler

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 07:37:18 PM »
Wow old thread.

Just tried a barelywine we made that was fermented and aged in BBs. Sat for like 6 months in the Secondary. Aging in them is no problem. The beer tasted just fine and the bottle cleaned up easy even after sitting that long.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
Am I wrong or is a better bottle just a water jug?

Certainly similar.  BB may be slightly different type of plastic to reduce permeability, etc.

maddspoiler

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
Its a PET bottle. I do not believe normal Plastic "Culligan Man" bottles are made of PET but could be wrong. BBs are cheap around 25 bucks for a 6 gallon.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:02 AM »

modification