• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Better Bottle Carboy

U

unclejack

Has anyone used any of the plastic Better Bottle Carboy's? I was thinking about using one as a primary fermenter because the valve at the base may make it a bit easier to rack to the secondary. Besides the price, cleaning is a question mark. Scratching the plastic causes me some major concerns with contamination.  I would like to hear from anyone using these new bottles.

Hi,
 While I have not tried them myself, the PET plastic is a nice choice if you really want a plastic bottle.

My only concern would be cleaning (and possibly scratching it with the carboy brush).  My guess is that if you clean the carboy immediately after using it and don't store the beer in it for excessively long periods it would work just fine.

After all - most of us started with a plastic bucket in the tub anyways!

I'm a bit surprised at the price - it appears that a glass one is probably cheaper?

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad.

I think I'll just buy another glass one for the time being until they have been around a bit longer and have a track record.

I was thinking of purchasing a plastic conical - I know stainless is the way to go - but this price on this new 15gal unit is very good.

Has anyone used one over time - will it hold up if it is taken care of?  Can it even be taken care of?

Thx

Which plastic conical are you thinking of getting? Or are you thinking of the Better Bottle plastic carboy?

cj in j - well the one I was interested in is no longer available - It was a 15gal conical w/ stainless drains - my concern is / was how long can a brewer expect a food grade plastic to hold up. I now use brew buckets as a primary, I never let it stay in there for over a week -and it is into the class carboys.  My brew buddy and my self want to step up our production, we make 10 gal batches three times a month and would like to make more at one time.  I know stainless is the way to go, but $1000 and up is a lot to spend.

If this is the one you're thinking of, it's nice. I had a small one that I used for several years. The plastic is thin enough that oxygen ingress isn't a problem. The only problem is that the threads are plastic and can get stipped. I had a problem with the plastic nipples they supplied (they leaked), so I switched to stainless, but eventually the only way to get a leakless seal was to use silicone fishtank sealer every time I used it. Not a major problem but a bother nevertheless.
f12b.jpg

Check out this place http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_53_146&products_id=2103 I buy a lot of stuff from them (my local place is very limited in equipment, and he's a bit of a jerk). They have the stuff to complete it, it's just not on the web site. Prices are good for local place too. When I move and have the room for it, I'm getting a couple. Free shipping over $60, can save you a bundle!

Another place that has a SS conical for a reasonable price is here http://stpats.com/

Just a thought.

If you have not yet ordered your BB carboy, I highly recommend it. I have only developed scratches on the outside from handling. I use the standard carboy brush to clean after soaking and it works just fine with no scratches after 12-15 batches. My glass ones are sitting in the back of the closet.

:cheers:

Lee

Has anyone used any of the plastic Better Bottle Carboy's? I was thinking about using one as a primary fermenter because the valve at the base may make it a bit easier to rack to the secondary. Besides the price, cleaning is a question mark. Scratching the plastic causes me some major concerns with contamination.  I would like to hear from anyone using these new bottles.

I have been using a Better- Bottle for the past year with good results. It cleans up much easier tham glass. The scum does not seem to stick to the sides. I've had no problem with scratching or odors. The plastic is different from regular water bottles. Two things I have noticed though.
1. Dont pick them up without removing the air-lock. The bottom sags and will draw the liquid from the air-lock.
2. It's not really worth the extra cost to get the pre-drilled one. The attachments are not cheap, and it wont drain nearly as fast as a siphon hose. You can buy the basic bottle without the drain hole.

Have nothing but good things to say about Better Bottles.  They clean up well - usually just a soak in oxy-clean.  Once I used a wash cloth - stuck it in the bottle and shook the heck out of it to get a few bits of gunk on the sides.  Very light and no risk of glass shards cutting you open! 

BB are easy to clean and as another poster pointed out they will deform a little.

The big advantage is that they are safe.  If you slip or stumble with a glass carboy it can break into very dangerous shards.  Ask a local brewer who had 43 stitches in his hand/arm.

I am replacing all of my glass over time with BB products. 

I own two 3-gallon Better Bottle carboys and one 6-gallon BB carboy, and they are great. In addition to being safer, they are much lighter. They clean up well with Oxy-Clean, warm water, and if need be a washcloth (stuff it in there and shake up the carboy).

A friend and I won BB in a comp raffle and he had his first idumped-batch infection ever after the BB bottom flexed and sucked water out of his airlock.  He said some people recommended (after the fact) putting a ball under the bottom, and using alcohol in airlocks to prevent that problem.  But with the increase in glass carboy prices, they now seem a good option for primary ferm. 

I have a total of 14 carboys (been making wine from my vineyard for years).
All but 5 are glass. I was a "glass-only" person for a long time especially for long term ageing of wine (1-2 years in carboys).
After ageing and ageing and ageing, suffering heart attacks, and arthritis, I now would rather work with Better Bottles only.
With the Mexican glass carboy maker no longer exporting to the US and European glass carboys being twice the price, I think more people will try the Better Bottles.
I love those BBs!!

I use glass for everything but long lagering.  I am further turned off from spigots after finding black mold in my bottle bucket spigot. Really-i'd just asoon siphon. 

Otherwise bettle bottles are supposed to be good.

I use BB exclusively.  I can say that I have not had a problem with any of them.  I have two 5 gals and went to buy a 6gal today.  Clean up is easy and I have not noticed any scratching on the occasions that I have used the brush on them.  i especially love using them as my primary since they sell a cap that makes using pvc for a blow off tube easy.  I wouldn't bother with the ported bottle though as the racking valve and equipment is kind of expensive.  An auto-siphon is just as easy and much cheaper.

I've got two 6 gallon better bottles and love them. I purchased the first after breaking a glass carboy. For clean up I soak overnight with PBW then rinse with my bottle cleaner sink attachment, comes clean very easily.

Back