• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from the foothills of Northern California

Peter McQuillen

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am new to brewing.  I have done 4 extrat kits and discovered that I really enjoy brewing beer.  So I read a couple of books, built a tun out of an old Igloo 52-qt cooler with a copper manifold.  (hopefully I am getting all of these terms right).  And last week I broke down and bought down and bought a 3-roller, adjustable Crankenstein mill.  So I guess I am in for the long haul.  So far I have made 6 batches of all grain.

It is incredible at how much I don't know :)  But I am learning as quickly as I can.  Though learning the new vocabulary of tuns and sparges is akin to reading a Harry Potter novel!  Who came up with the terms?

This week I discovered BeerSmith.  I have never been a member of a forum.  Odd, I guess, given my degree in computer science!

Right now I am trying to figure out how to add my existing inventory of malts, hops, etc., into the BeerSmith software.

My preferences are pale ales such as Sierra Nevada, but my wife likes much less bitter beer.  So, hopefully, with a little experimentation and the BeerSmith software, I can create a recipe that she really likes.  Newtown Brown is her favorite, though she discovered Evolution Ale in Utah this last summer.  Alas, I cannot find a recipe for it on any of the homebrew web sites.

Look forward to talking to people on this forum and learning everything that they have to teach me.  Ev :)entually I hope to be able to give back.

Pete

Welcome! :)

I know what u mean about all the terms.... I m from sweden, and we have other terms in our language.... I have to learn the double... ha ha

I hope to give some back too eventually. cause we have a slightly different culture about beer and brewing. Intressting!

But remember.... While the vikings here got drunk from mead and beer, the indians of mexico got drunk from pulque! he he

Hi Peter
Welcome to the forum. We all try to share what we know, and everyone know something. So don't be afraid to pitch in and help. We are all learning as we go, even if the veterans don't want to admit it.  8)

Cheers
Preston

Back