• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Drying Hops

sickbrew

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I dried my initial harvest (first ever) of hops over the weekend in a food dehydrator.  Compared to the whole hops I've purchased they seem dryer and I'm wondering if i over did it.  I dried them for about 14 hrs.  My wet weight was 16.2 oz and my dried weight was 4.3 oz.  They also smell a bit grassy.

How do you dry and the store your hops.

This is a question I had.  I'm sure the procedure to dry hops is in some book on some shelf, somewhere.  I also want to know when is the right time to harvest.  I live in the upper Yakima valley thirty miles from all the commercial hop operations and I have hops growing wild in the countryside.  I don't know what variety they are, but I thought it would make for an interesting experiment.  Not having been through any lab, I'm not sure what AA value they will have, but hey, we're in it for the fun & experience, right? 

Back