• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

a little help: decyphering unclear terms

CR

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
deciphering  unclear terms ( unclear to me that is)

The recipe Here:
http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_50.htm
It calls for a variety of  things that I am unable to exactly identify:

These items  are unidentified:
✔  0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain5.00 
✔  Hop Blend 

"Hop Blend" is used 4 times with no references to what is meant by the term.
My best guess is that  the pearle and liberty are mixed together and hopped in

The Pearle goes on solo once for 60 min
The Liberty  goes in twice  once for 45 min and once for 30 min
For the "Hop Blend"  the two are  combined ( I'm guessing 50/50 ratio~?) and added four times the final  in his recipe is for ZERO minutes?  That part  about hopping for 0 minutes is a tad interesting.  He calls it an "aroma hop-steep"  Which tells me the hops  go in when the heat is turned off.  But do they get left in?  Are they part of the sparge?  I should think they don't stay but  till they are well wetted.

I know what an aromatic malt is but,  I would like to know which one is intended.
I'm thinking of 2 row American Briess 'cause it's kind of light.  But the author  doesn't say.

Any input would be appreciated.
Mili Grazi

Here is what I get from the recipe. The recipe (from the link) states that the "Hop Blend" consists of 1 oz each of Amarillo (7.8%), Cascade (4.0%), and Centennial (5.9%) whole hops. So basically he mixes these together. The four additions are added at the end of the boil not the Sparge, in 5 min intervals (.5oz @15 min, .5oz @10 min, 1oz @ 5 min, 1oz @ 0 min(or flame out)). After the flame out, pull them out. If you leave them in longer than 5-10 min you loose the benefit of the late addition. Here is a great chart for the hops utilization. http://brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm .

As far as which aromatic malt to use, that is up to the brewer and availability. Most aromatics are very similar, so which ever you choose you should be fine.

Cheers
Preston

Grazi  Sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees.  Damn trees~!

that's a nice chart.

Can I step in with a beginners question?
Hop Blend [5.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) What does it mean? Zero min of steep...... Whats steep? Language malfunction here......

thanks

scaryeyes said:
Can I step in with a beginners question?
Hop Blend [5.90 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) What does it mean? Zero min of steep...... Whats steep? Language malfunction here......
thanks
Basically you add it at flame out, or when you turn the heat off. Steep is kind of like what you do with tea. You let it sit in the hot water for X amount of time.

Cheers
Preston

I understand the question from the perspective of "zero minutes"  

It is  wonderfully cryptic way to say:  "toss the hops in for a brief bit after you turn off the heat."
It is "ZERO minutes" of Boil time.  

But that leaves  another question unanswered
One still must make up one's mind about how long to leave  it in.
The  thermal inertia of the liquid will retain some considerable heat for a while  unless one is actively chilling it.
it might not be a bad idea to monitor temperature and think about the chart referenced above

Here is a nice page on hopping:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

And  just to make sure that the "cryptic" aspect remains as imponderable as ever this guy uses the term  "at knockout" to refer to that moment when the heat is turned off.

I may have to come  up with my own expression. Maybe "Muck the glim"
Yah Muck the Glim ought to be adequately cryptic.
So ya hopp it last when ya muck the glim.  
Then go have some barny bangers 'n eggs.
( assuming it takes about  10 minutes or so to have breakfast)

CR said:
I may have to come  up with my own expression. Maybe "Muck the glim"
Yah Muck the Glim ought to be adequately cryptic.
So ya hopp it last when ya muck the glim.  
Then go have some barny bangers 'n eggs.
( assuming it takes about  10 minutes or so to have breakfast)
So loosely translated: Glim= I light, and Muck = to cover over. Muck the glem = To cover over the light! I like it, and think it fits perfectly!
Are you an Irish gambler BTW?

Cheers
Preston

And it's got that  bizarre cryptic aspect to it too.

So I'm going to toss the hops when I  Muck the Glim and then have come bangers 'n eggs.

Ain't Brit slang  just ducky?

I like to toss the hops right at the end without killing the boil.  Let the boil overcome the hops, totally wetted, usually about 2 minutes and then kill the flame.  Start chilling straight away and leave the hops til I siphon off of them into the primary.

CR said:
And it's got that  bizarre cryptic aspect to it too.

So I'm going to toss the hops when I  Muck the Glim and then have come bangers 'n eggs.

Ain't Brit slang  just ducky?

So what would you say for Lighting the Fire? Glim the? Start the Glim? Drawing a blank.......  ;D

Cheers
Preston

Back