• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopped extract IBU calculations

M

michaelcocks

Hi Support,

I recently purchase Beersmith (great tool BTW)

I quite often replace the Generic unhopped Pale Malt extract with a Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit (this is pre-bittered rather than unhopped) according to my calculations this should be around 19 IBU's in 22L. I use late extract method, only boil kit for 10 mins for sanitation..

My question is ...

Within the section where you add extract to a new recipe ... when double clicking on extract ... the section towards the bottom  appears to be the only place to add IBU's already present in the kit...

It states  "Equivalent hops in extract" (hopped Extract) section.... is there somewhere I should be putting IBU's (since kits are usually sold with IBU rating...Or do I just frig with the variables "hop alpha and hop weight" to get around 19IBU's in the original screen ??? AM I missing something here? Both hop alpha and hop weight I have never seen on any kit I've ever purchased from any manufacturer

Now someone will surely post that there is a kit...so OK... 99% of kits do not have this info but do have IBU's - Where do I enter this ?

Many Thanks

Michael

Michael,
  You can either enter a "hop" here (which I admit is a pain) with an approximate alpha and boil time or probably a better solution is to simply add a false hop ingredient to your recipe and then match the IBUs.

Confusion over the existing system has led me to go to a much simpler measure for the next version of BeerSmith we're working on.  It will have a simple IBUs per pound of extract which should be much easier to deal with.

VR
Brad

Thanks Brad

when can we expect the new release BTW?

Regards

Michael

Back