• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Easier than whirlpooling..

T

therobot

Just wanted to pass on the idea, had success with it lately.  Anyone else, instead of whirpooling (hop-backing, or anything else) just tie a sanitized nylon bag at the end of their siphon tube?  Seems to catch all that nasty trub real well.  (Though it does require using a funnel if you're going into a carboy, can't really stuff the bag into the carboy and expect it to come out nicely every time.  ;))

I do the same thing when I'm sparging, to eliminate the need to recirculate.

I have done something similar with great results.  I cut a  small piece of grain or hop sack, sanitize it, sanitize some string, and tie it to the bottom (wort/beer entry side) of the auto siphon.  It fits in the carboy fine.  It does seem to reduce trub transfer, although I still whirlpool and pull the wort from the side of the pot.  It also works great for filtering out hops when dry hopping, which is what I use this method for the most.

Back