• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chloramine in my water

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I got in contact with my local water authority and asked if they had chloramine in the water.  The reply was that they did, in fact

"There are chloramines approximately 2-3 mg/l in the distribution system.
There should be no free chlorine." 

I'm wondering if this is an amount I need to worry about?  Right now I'm thinking I'll just go by some bottled water and brew with that until I can figure out what to do about the chloramine issue?  Any suggestions?  Also, does anybody know a ballpark water profile for drinking water from the grocery store?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/campden-tablets.html

These campden tabs convert the chloramines into something else that the yeast later process away. 
100 tabs, and each tab treats 20 gallons, so it is very cost effective.  I have no problem cracking the pills into thirds or quarters and using what's needed. 

Thanks,

I'm going to get myself some of those.  I was wondering if, in the amount that's in my water, if its something I really need to worry about?  I've heard some say that if you can't taste it or smell it don't worry about it but I've spent way too much time the last few days reading and learning about water chemistry to leave anything to chance.  I also don't want to go back to just buying bottled water and hoping for the best.  I like the idea of having control over my water as its one more variables that you can control to make the best beer you can.

For the batch this weekend I'm going out on a limb and I bought distilled water with the intention of adding all the salts myself.  I've never done this but I've been reading a lot about how many like to use RO water which is basically distilled it just got its zero mineral profile in a different way than the distillation process, same end result though, and build up from there.  So, I'm going to give that build up method a chance and see what happens. 

Next batch, I'll have the campden tabs and I'll go back to using my own water

I would doubt the chlorines are so high as to always be a taste issue, but I don't think yeast like it, so I remove it. 

Saturday, I judged with a very experienced brewer that has sent water to WardLab.com several times and he raved about the service and quality of info from them.  For $17, you can learn exactly what water you've got at home. 

I'm going to do it myself shortly.  I have water dept reports from 2005 and 2008, plus a brewpub near me, and all three vary a bit. 

Slow carbon filtering is also supposed to remove chloramines.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16776//Water_Filter_10%22_-_Carbon_Block

Back