• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Larger then Mash Tun Warning

S

scud42

Hello,

I'm relatively new to brewing, but Beersmith has been a great tool to learn off of!  I love the product.  I did think of a suggestion today though. 

I have a 5 gallon mash tun.  Well my grain bill was I think 1 lb too large for my mash tun, and using the guidance from Beersmith, I started off with 4 gallons of strike water.  When adding the grains, I found myself filling my mash tun completely full, and I couldnt' get the lid on it.

I realized later on that if I clicked on my "Mash Profile Details" it said "Tun Volume Required: 5.08".  If I had seen that before, I would have set it up for a thicker mash.  However it was a little late afterwards.  I also noticed the Warning later on the brewsheet.  My suggestion is this....When the "Tun Volume Required" is larger then the mash tun in your equipment, the program should alert you on the recipe page (for example: in red bold font) in addition to the brewsheet, so when you're creating your recipes you know to change your mash density.

Just a thought. 

Keep up the great work!

I must agree.  I knew I'd seen that somewhere, and went hunting just today as I edited a Scotch Ale that I figured would be pushing my 10-gallon MLT. 

Big, flashing letters "I NEED MORE POTS, SCOTTY!!" would work. 

ROFLMAO..  ;D  That has happened to me! I now own two MT's. One for Monsters/10G batches, and one for everything else. If you can get away with it You should get another MT. Here is the reasoning. If your grain bed is too deep you may find that the path of least resistance is not through the grains, but rather around the edge of them. Also as ML and yourself have stated. "BIG/High Gravity" batches may require some adjustment to the recipe also, and if you can run a thin grist to water ratio you may get better brewhouse efficiency. It took some explaining to SWMBO but after much persistence/patience on my part she finally agreed to let me have the second MT.

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
It took some explaining to SWMBO but after much persistence/patience on my part she finally agreed to let me have the second MT. Cheers Preston

What's so tough to understand?  "More Wife's Wit, honey.  Don't you see?  You'll never run out." 

You gotta sell the sizzle, and not the pot.  ;)

Back